Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone use a return fuel line to tank? >

Anyone use a return fuel line to tank?

Notices

Anyone use a return fuel line to tank?

Old 05-14-2002, 02:31 PM
502SS

Default Anyone use a return fuel line to tank?

I have my fuel return plumbed to a tee just before my Vortech fuel pump (between fuel/water filter and pump) and I am having bad vapor lock and my pump gets pretty hot with this setup. The VST system is removed and I only use the Vortech pump. I was told by Vortech that now they plumb the return line to a tee just before the fuel/water filter. I haven't tried that yet and need to know how some of you other guys fuel setups are done. I know that if I take the fuel return back to the tank then all will be fine, but I don't know if that is legal. Any thoughts?

Thanks
John

Old 05-14-2002, 02:47 PM
Brad Perry

Default That's what I do

I ran it back to the tank. I think it is the only proper way, as what you are doing is only bandaiding the situation. It works, but does nothing to get rid of the heat buildup as you can tell. The problem is how to get back into the tank. I made a short nipple from thick aluminum tubing to splice into the fuel fill line (2") and tapped a 5/8" nipple into the side of it. Double clamp all the nipples.

Old 05-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I plumb from the tank--fuel filter--aeromotive pump--fuel water separator--fuel rails--FMU--T before the fuel filter. No problems with vapor lock.
Are you trying to suck fuel thru the fuel water separator? You need to put pressure thru it.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:16 PM
502SS

Cobra,
I used to have it just as yours is, but I kept having leaks at the Permacool gas/water filter (I tried three differant ones). I always thought that the FMU just raised the pressure to high for those types of filters. I call Vortech and talked to Bob Anderson, he said they no longer plumb it that way and to put the fuel/water filter before the pump and the return to the filter inlet. I just tried it like that and it idled for about 10 min. with hatch closed and started surging again and died. It will fire and stall, sometimes I can feather the throttle to keep it running. I think I'll go out and disconnect the return and add about 15 feet and run it in through the tank fill to see if it will stay running.
John

Old 05-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

502SS;

I run a BG 350GPH with return line plumbed back into the 2" rubber filler hose for the fuel tanks. Never any problems....
Old 05-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Fuel Return......

After many struggles with delivery I converted to a circle system which has been absolutely flawless. I assume your reffering to a high performance EFI setup? If so, this might be of interest to you.
I run in the following order, tank - stock separator - stock mechanical pump - large Racor (5 fitting) filter/seperator - high pressure pump - fuel rails - regulator - fuel cooler - back to the Racor filter. The only other mod is to add a 2-1/2" long 3/8"pipe nipple to the inside pick up on the Racor filter mount. The pipe tap works perfect in the existing hole. Also try and keep your high pressure pump below the Racor elevation. Rotary vane pumps don't suck too well!
The filter is always cold to the touch and I don't have to worry about return lines to seperate tanks. I know of many people running this on high hp applications with no problems what so ever.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:24 PM
Tee

I run mine back into one of the intake ports of the Fuel Water separator.........Haven't had any problems.....T

Old 05-14-2002, 05:36 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I wish I had the luxury of running a return line, but with two tanks, it would be a plumbing nightmare! My thinking was that I'd just run it back to the filter/separator, but that doesn't increase the flow through the pump, nor does it resolve the dead head issue. If people have any ideas I'd be open to them.

ps. I'd prefer not to run a IMCO fuel valve either.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:15 PM
502SS

I pulled the return line off at the tee, capped the tee, then added about 15' of hose to the return line and stuck it in the fuel fill. I fired it up and let it idle with the hatch closed for about 45 min., no problems! Now I just need to get some tubing to splice into the fuel fill at the tank and install a nipple for the return line.

One of my problems is the older MPI's with the VST pump do not have a fuel cooler so with out the VST there is very a little volume of gas in the loop that just kept heating up the fuel pump.

John

Old 05-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You might check the top of your tank to see if there is an extra plug. My tanks had an extra plug to run a return line to.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a return fuel line to tank?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.