flywheel question >

flywheel question

Notices

flywheel question

Old 05-14-2002, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb flywheel question

the way i have been told boats use a flywheel as in the type used for a manual trans car. what would happen if you used a lightwieght aluminum flywhel or a SFI approved flexplate as with an automatic. i know there is a thickness issue whick is no biggie, but sems if you could knock off that much rotating mass if would free up alot of horsepower. just a thought.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Registered

I run an aluminum flywheel on a 632 Merlin. I'm not sure how much power you gain from going with aluminum, but I do know this "big inch" motor will rev like a Honda.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

MXZ< it is my opinion and belief that you won't gain HP because once it is turning the weight is a non issue. I have a heavy flywheel instead of a light one which was on the boat in the begining because the weight helps in shifting the OD from neutral
into gear with out stalling. I have a lot of canshaft so it lopes heavy, with the heavy flywheel it smooths it out some. Hope this helps some. GEO
Old 05-14-2002, 08:01 PM
Blueman

I would think with a lightweight flywheel it would over rev quick when you exit the water and upon re-enty it would bog down do to light mass of flywheel.
Just a guess

Old 05-15-2002, 05:47 PM
Registered

these are somethings i didnt consider but should. was hoping someone had already tried this swap (ie. guinea pig ) and could tell me the pros and cons of it thanks for the info. any other thoughts. jdnca1 do you have problems with motor shifting? i realize you have a touch more horsepower than my 7.4 efi mag does.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:02 AM
MKast

In years past, the rule of thumb on flywheels was -light weight vehicle alumimun flywheel; heavy weight vehicle, heavy wheel. The wheel stores kinetic energy, if the boat is light no problem with the aluminum wheel. Engine will rev faster, but when a load (like boat reentering the water) is on the engine, rpm will drop like a rock.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Adivanman

Exclamation Flexplate with an HP500 EFI

My two cents,

I am running a standard GM 502 automatic transmission flexplate in the Camaro behind my HP500 EFI and I can tell you from experience that the engine rev's a "whole lot" faster than it did in the boat. I would think that most people would find it too fast in rough water. I can zing it from 2800 RPM to the rev limiter in less time than it takes to shift into second. Another consideration with the EFI motor is that it almost rev's too fast for the stock merc programming.

Again, just me two bits.

Adivanman

http://www.adivanman.homestead.com