anyone make a mpi for use with a whipple charger >

anyone make a mpi for use with a whipple charger

Notices

anyone make a mpi for use with a whipple charger

Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone make a mpi for use with a whipple charger

wondering if anyone makes a multi port injection for a 572 bbc with a whipple charger. all i see is the batch fire fuel injection set up.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered

looking to make 1000-1100hp but would prefer the mpi set up over the batch fire that most people use with a whipple.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Whipple puts the injectors in the throttle body at the entrance of the blower. They very strongly recommend sending the fuel through the blower. Not only does it help cool the blower, but it helps to seal it up as well. It is a big help with cooling the rear bearings.
Eddie
Old 12-17-2010, 02:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by La/stryker
looking to make 1000-1100hp but would prefer the mpi set up over the batch fire that most people use with a whipple.
I am having a pair of 1000 hp BBC's being built right now. When I first set out on the project, I was leaning strongly toward a Whipple setup. Then I realized (with the help of my engine builder) that you can make 1000 hp pretty easily with a good old Roots setup. If you have hatch clearance issues, then the Whipple might be good, but you could save a bunch of money and get your power.

If you were going for really high power, or small cubic inch motor, then you'd benenefit more from the improved efficiency of the Whipple.

We are using Eickert intake bonnets with the idle air butterflies, sitting atop a custom CNC fuel rail, which holds 12 injectors, then down through a TBS 14-71 and superchiller. They are going to be run by a brand new MEFI-5 controller with knock sensor, and individual plug coils.

The hardware and software is being developed simultaneously for Keith Eickert and for my engines at Ateco by DoneRite automotive. Not to change the subject, but they found out that MEFI-5 programming was in a whole new league from MEFI-4, so they've spent some time at Delphi sorting it all out.

When it's all said and done, these will cost less than the Whipple, and have an OE qualitiy, potted marine ECU. The other alternatives, like FAST, are not potted, or really intended for marine usage.

More to come in the next couple weeks as they are fired with the EFI systems finally. (break-in runs were done with carbs).
Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sounds like a cool project.. But, do
You really think a 1471 with Eikert bonnet and custom Efi is going to be cheaper then a whipple? Also, did anyone tell you a mefi 4 can do all that too.. Good luck with the build, what did they make with the carbs?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

When you are injecting the fuel before the supercharger as most do now, having batch fire versus sequential is really a mute point and I don't think the change would net any power or improved efficiency in this type of use. On a N/A engine with EFI this is another story and if its port injection it becomes even more important.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
having batch fire versus sequential is really a mute point
Maybe even a moot point...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Sounds like a cool project.. But, do
You really think a 1471 with Eikert bonnet and custom Efi is going to be cheaper then a whipple? Also, did anyone tell you a mefi 4 can do all that too.. Good luck with the build, what did they make with the carbs?
They pulled 987 hp on the carbs, but that was without spending any time tuning. Builder says there was more timing to be had.

As far as cost goes, everyone I got quotes from wanted $40k per engine for EFI Whipple. The builder is absorbing some of the development costs on these, with the intent of making them a standard catalog offering. Because of that, I shouldn't hose him and say a price, but it should be well below 40.

Regarding the MEFI 4 option, you are right, they can run a blower motor, but we got headed down the develpment path early on, and they do have some features like NMEA2000 compatibility that make them cool. MEFI4 requires another converter box to do that.