Bravo to SSM IV converions trim issues >

Bravo to SSM IV converions trim issues

Notices

Bravo to SSM IV converions trim issues

Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo to SSM IV conversion trim issues

Converted from Bravo to SSM IVs Using the bravo trim pumps the drives trim up at a normal rate but trim down really slow. Any thoughts? I have run them up and down several times. Pump wiring and lines are all the same as they used to be. Pumps sound like they spin very fast as if there is no fluid pressure.

Last edited by tssteph; 12-20-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tssteph
Converted from Bravo to SSM IVs Using the bravo trim pumps the drives trim up at a normal rate but trim down really slow. Any thoughts? I have run them up and down several times. Pump wiring and lines are all the same as they used to be. Pumps sound like they spin very fast as if there is no fluid pressure.
The Bravo pumps really aren't adequate for an SSM. I've discussed this with Galen Wiley at speedmasters, and he confirms what I thought from reading the specs on the trim pumps. Bravo pumps put out around 2500 psi up and like 250 down. SSM pumps such as the old Prestolite and Oildyne make 4000 up and 500 down.

That said, depending on pump model, you can open up the pump and crank down on the relief valve springs to raise the pressure. The "freewheeling" sound you are hearing is likely from having lifted the relief. If you keep running it like that, your fluid will get aerated and the pump will barf if the fill screw is open.

If your pumps are old, the springs may have gone soft, and you aren't even getting the 200 some psi in the down direction.

Hope that helps some.