Cheap 496 mag upgrades (375hp) >

Cheap 496 mag upgrades (375hp)

Notices

Cheap 496 mag upgrades (375hp)

Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
I'm not saying that you shouldn't upgrade. The problem is: you're asking "what to do" but you want to do it with little to no money.

Ain't gonna work man. And don't fall for spending 50 bucks on a K&N filter while thinking you'll go faster.

If you've got a payment along with a storage fee and no extra money, somebody out there will tell you that an ecm flash will make you go faster but it won't.

The guy who told you to re-prop the boat is on to the best idea. It's not only the cheapest way of doing it, but also an "effective" way of doing it.

So figure somewhere around $700 give or take will net you a small amount of speed if you wanna spend the time and work at it...

Roughly $300 + or - for a used prop.
Roughly $300 - $500 for a good lab job depending on how many times you send it back..
Well I did the K&N on my boat can't say it made a difference, but looks nicer then the stock one. Well the shop I take my boat to told me the cheapest MPH you will ever get is a labbed prop (2-3MPH). He said other then that it roughly about $1000 per MPH. Looks like a have some money to send to get were I wanna be
Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Velocity should be running close to 70 as it is....... For a 24' boat with stock power that is pretty fast. I have the same boat/power and have just decided to leave well enough alone......
Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wet-N-Wild
Well I did the K&N on my boat can't say it made a difference, but looks nicer then the stock one. Well the shop I take my boat to told me the cheapest MPH you will ever get is a labbed prop (2-3MPH). He said other then that it roughly about $1000 per MPH. Looks like a have some money to send to get were I wanna be
The K&N will actually rob it of airflow mainly because the stock flame arrestor is just a screen and has no real restriction where the K&N is cotton material. Nobody has seen improvements from a K&N like myself most have lost speed and just wasted they're money.

CMI's are almost 5,000 now and don't net the advertised gains originally promoted. I'd say 10-20hp gains from the headers. The next simplest upgrade would be the cam and ECU reflash, but your only looking at 50hp not really worth the money. To get a 496 to make HP you'll be spending 10,000 to see any gains. Then they are BIG gains.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
The K&N will actually rob it of airflow mainly because the stock flame arrestor is just a screen and has no real restriction where the K&N is cotton material. Nobody has seen improvements from a K&N like myself most have lost speed and just wasted they're money.

CMI's are almost 5,000 now and don't net the advertised gains originally promoted. I'd say 10-20hp gains from the headers. The next simplest upgrade would be the cam and ECU reflash, but your only looking at 50hp not really worth the money. To get a 496 to make HP you'll be spending 10,000 to see any gains. Then they are BIG gains.
My shop told me around $12000 for all forged parts then I would be able to add a whipple to it without damaging the motor. Then I would need to buy a new drive. I was wondering if it would be better to pickup a 502 that already has forged parts in it. I just don't know if the 502 would still work with the smart craft I have. Someday I will get this figured out and get some more HP out of my boat
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 AM
CAB
Registered

Had a 496 ho on a 26 ft. boat. Added stainless marine exhaust and picked up 3 mph. Went from a 24 to 26 bravo 1 and turned them the same rpms. Spent 2400 on exhaust. I thought that was a decent gain.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAB
Had a 496 ho on a 26 ft. boat. Added stainless marine exhaust and picked up 3 mph. Went from a 24 to 26 bravo 1 and turned them the same rpms. Spent 2400 on exhaust. I thought that was a decent gain.
What brand of exhaust did you go with?? Did you pick up any MPH with the prop change??
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

The only good exhaust choice for a 496 is Dana or maybe CMI. The Dana's add true power.

Raylar, SD Fever and Rage are all really knowledgeable guys on the 496 platform. I have been doing 496 stuff for 3-4 years and they all know the 496 very well.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
The only good exhaust choice for a 496 is Dana or maybe CMI. The Dana's add true power.

Raylar, SD Fever and Rage are all really knowledgeable guys on the 496 platform. I have been doing 496 stuff for 3-4 years and they all know the 496 very well.
The Dana Marine exhaust was what I was looking at using. Thank all you guys for all the great info
Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

My shop told me around $12000 for all forged parts then I would be able to add a whipple to it without damaging the motor. Then I would need to buy a new drive. I was wondering if it would be better to pickup a 502 that already has forged parts in it. I just don't know if the 502 would still work with the smart craft I have. Someday I will get this figured out and get some more HP out of my boat
That's really kinda high (12K) if you're just getting forged bottom end and using same heads etc..
Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

you can install new headers that they say will add 40-50 HP. The headers are my next investment
Originally Posted by Irishtornado
CMI's are almost 5,000 now and don't net the advertised gains originally promoted. I'd say 10-20hp gains from the headers.
STOP! Don't do it. Don't go for the BS power gain claims! I spent almost $5,000 on the CMI Sportubes for my 496 HO and saw ZERO gain. If you have the early aluminum exhaust the ports are huge and it flows very well. My final decision after a lot of discussion on forums was to lose the 496 and drop in an '07 vintage 525 which I found on this site for $20,000. Seven hours of run time later I had to upgrade to a Bravo XR upper . The cam change and ECM will get you 50 hp and a few mph. That is true. Then you will have a 496 Magnum HO. Some people are getting away with whipplecharging a stock 496 but I think you will be running on borrowed time. A shorty drive can add 2-3 mph but I'd start a thread to find out if it would be right for your application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.