Transmission support >

Transmission support

Notices

Transmission support

Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission support

I am converting from Bravos to Transmissions with surface drives and need to know should I have extra mounts put in to support the transmission?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am guessing arnesons? I would think you will want rear engine plates mounted between the bellhousing and block to support the rear half.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Exactly aas Thunder put it. You should have a rear motor plate between the block and bell housing to support the rear of the engine (Obviously, you need a front motor plate as well). If you do this, you do not need any additional support on the tranny.
I have seen Arneson setups that don't use a rear motor plate but use the mounting pads on the tranny to secure the trans and rear of engine. This was an ASD 6/7 with the tranny part way through the transom and into the extension box. It had mounting ears (aluminum angle) attached to the transom and to the tranny.
Eddie
Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using the Bravo/Arneson Conversion kit, it comes with rear engine mounts.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what transmissions ? if using B/W they have mounts right off them...
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
what transmissions ? if using B/W they have mounts right off them...
That depends. The TRS tailstock had mounts built into it that bolted to the inner transom. The speedmaster tailstocks did not. The speedmasters either used ears that bolted to the sides of the transmission bolting to the inner transom plate, or a rear engine plate bolted to the stringers. I do have two sets of those ears for the speedmaster style mount I want to sell. I dont think they will help this guy out with the arneson though. He is better off with a rear plate i think.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was already going to use rear engine mounting plates. It would seem a 150lb transmission hanging off the bell housing would be to much.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

No problem as long as the engine is supported front and back. That rear mount is taking a bunch of the tranny's weight.
Eddie
Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, definitely that's OK. All Merc driveline setups as well as inboard BBC setups using BW 72C's, even with the extra reduction gear cantilever the transmission off the bellhousing. Structurally, the bellhousing could withstand thousands of pounds with no problem. Inboard boats end up taking up most of the propeller thrust into the bellhousing as well.