Dart 8.1 Gen 7 Iron Heads

Notices

Dart 8.1 Gen 7 Iron Heads

Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
Im hear to tell you darts heads dont flow as good as the cncd heads from Tyler Crocket Im running the same valves in booth and the darts make half pound of boost higher then gm head . I thought they wouldnt need any port work .If any one orders a set make sure you order the bolts stock bolts dont work .
Thanks for sharing the info on the difference in power made by the heads and the special bolts required. Didn't you have to have the Dart intakes ported to accept the bigger 2.25 intake valve? Who did that work?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Hog
Registered

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
Update on the intake on mine.
Pics first

and the raylar

So dynoed it with the raylar and mine withe same parts
stock tb with port job 78mm
stock exhaust manifolds for the rear mount turbo
stock 85mm maf
aftermarket cold air intake for a 5.3
3 inch y pipe into a 4 inch collector then reduced to 3 inch single into turbo to a 5 inch down pipe
single 3 inch to increase velocity to 85mm tv8101 turbo outback
raylar made 390 to the wheels and i want to say 480 torque
my intake made 330 and torque unk probably less due to the shorter runners if you go back and look at pics you can see how short i made them.
zz502 camshaft
h beam rods
mahle forged pistons

The good news
took off 78mm tb and put on 102mm tb and hooked up turbo to my intake
7 lbs of boost 680rwhp
Thats almost 800 flywheel hp
I asked him to give me a dyno sheet with all my sessions superimposed
You should see the drop in midrange NA without the headers on it

Here is the dyno with stock intake and headers and a single 4 inch system stock tb and maf

Oh in all these test the heads are cnc ported by tom at champion.
he did 85 sets of heads for the GM marine engines and he used the same cnc job on these heads.
stock intake size but 11/32nds stems and 1.88 exh valves sense the stock ones are kinda small

I also fell into a set of raylar heads and a forged short block with je pistons and a raylar crank that i will be building for 30 pounds of boost and a bigger cam
cam specs
244/244 @ .050 .650/.650 hydraulic roller
I am going to upgrade the head bolts to 1/2 inch if not bigger and convert the intake bolts to 1/4 inch since finding really long m6 bolts is next to impossible. I actually tig welded 4 bolts to make the length i needed to hold the fuel rails on since i used 4 intake bolts to work double duty.
If you google, 496 into 04 silverado, you can read more about it usually is the first link to come up

Also thanks to raylar for helping me out with some details a few weeks ago when i called. I have another question since i am in afghanistan. What are the cam specs for the 106 cam?

SPC Coss
US Army
currently deployed
Looking good Ed, those intakes fit in there just perfect.

IMO A performance marine engine and a performance truck engine would certainly have similarities.

Both push a lot of weight and need torque to:
Get the truck moving.
Get the boat up on plane. Once up on plane/moving both applications need power to overcome rolling/water resistance and they both move large amounts of air of air as they move.

Nowadays both applications require emissions equipement for the most part, of course their are exceptions.

Be safe over in the "Stan. I wanna see that RCSB of yours tear up the Texas Mile one of these times.

Peace
Hog

Last edited by Hog; 09-02-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hog
Looking good Ed, those intakes fit in there just perfect.

IMO A performance marine engine and a performance truck engine would certainly have similarities.

Both push a lot of weight and need torque to:
Get the truck moving.
Get the boat up on plane. Once up on plane/moving both applications need power to overcome rolling/water resistance and they both move large amounts of air of air as they move.

Nowadays both applications require emissions equipement for the most part, of course their are exceptions.

Be safe over in the "Stan. I wanna see that RCSB of yours tear up the Texas Mile one of these times.

Peace
Hog
Thanks PAuly, Yeah just got back and enjoying driving my turbo'ed truck now. Besides the gas comsumption LOL
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmccart
Hey Ed. Are those factory castings or Darts?
factory heads
Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Once I get back from leave, I am taking a few sets of heads to a guy named Lloyd Elliot, His is kinda famous for lt1 second generation head porting and local to me so...

I am going to have him flow a bunch of heads as well to get a comaprison on the same bench of a few different sets of heads.

stock
cnc ported stock
raylar stock
and raylar with bigger exhaust valves and ported

here is some pics of my current setup

Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered

and these

Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Hog
Registered

Very nice!! Thats gotta be fun.

peace
Hog
Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Hog
Registered

I thought I would bring this thread up to date.
Here are some flowbench numbers with:
Stock GM 8.1 iron heads
Dart 8.1 iron heads
Raylar alum. 8.1 "BigPower" heads
Raylar alum. 8.1 CNC "Extreme" heads

From the Raylar Cylinder Head part of their site (they list 2 bore sizes that were tested)

Ray from Raylar was termintaed from Raylar apparently due to bad customer service, Micah is his replacement and is a decent guy, and promises more transparency and more information on their website.

Anyone have any Dart GEN VII 8.1 head experiences or comments.?

Thanks

peace
Hog
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 423 Likes on 250 Posts

Thanks for all the info!

It looks like the Raylar heads flow quite a bit more on the intake over the Darts.

Does anyone have any real world experience with the Darts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.