Notices

Engine Oil

Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Synthetics are good if you run higher oil temps than about 230f and run roller. But if you have a 1988 flat tappet cam, add the zddp for sure or you will regret it.
Diesels have rollers too nowadays and still use oils that has more zinc in them.
Now why on earth would one want to go with higher oil temps than 230...so one can change oil constantly as the additives vapors away because of the excess heat cycles?

I´m so anal personally regarding oil temps that even as of today while pulling full loads with a Big Rig I have my oil temps on display and if the temps start to rise over 220 I start to ease up on the motor.
But this is just me...
Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on the oil temps, but some engines if built a little tight will run higher oil temps. Or if the cooler can't handle the load. Or if the tune is off (lean or timing). There are lots of thread on here about high oil temp problems. For me I shoot for oil temps to never go over about 200f no matter how hard or long the engine is run. That's what allows me to run dino oil. I choose rotella because I have had good luck with it. The merc would be my second choice based on cost. When I was running flat tappet cams and mobile 1 15-40 I wiped cam lobes twice.

Last edited by blue thunder; 01-22-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider running PB Blaster or WD-40...something that might make it easier to take it apart. With 800 hrs, its going to have to come apart very soon