Notices

zz502 vs. merc 502mag

Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morrowcarl72
so can you set me up with a list of what i would need for the zz502

say by chance i use:

my starter, alternator distributor all of my raw water cooling....(never going to leave lake washington always will be flushed and stored in a garage) and all of my oil system
i would like to use the aluminum heads mine are toast and i found out today that the crank will need some serious help so buying this motor would be a replacement deal

the list of needed things would be:

oil relief valve ( does my 502 have the right one?)
mechanical secondaries
bigger oil cooler
long exhaust risers

please add to this list and let me know any other thoughts of what i would need if i went with the zz502

also how much is my whole efi set up worth?
Whole EFI setup, complete with injectors, wiring harness, ECU, distributor, and fuel pump and sensors, etc. will bring $800-$1,500, depending on how long you want to hold onto it and what ECU you have. Pistons and rods are $100-250 if they're in good shape. A crank that needs to be ground may bring $100-150 if it can be saved. $50-75 for your stock cam if it is still good.

You can keep your old dist. and ECU, but you're better off selling it with the EFI system. Parted out you'll only get $400-600 for it, complete they're worth a lot more.

Your old marine heads may still bring $250 or so needing valve jobs or??? Why do you think they're bad?

You're right to use the zz heads, I didn't realize that they were aluminum/decent heads. You won't need to flush if they're fresh water. You may want to upgrade the valves to manley SD valves though. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so can you set me up with a list of what i would need for the zz502

say by chance i use:

my starter, alternator distributor all of my raw water cooling....(never going to leave lake washington always will be flushed and stored in a garage) and all of my oil system
i would like to use the aluminum heads mine are toast and i found out today that the crank will need some serious help so buying this motor would be a replacement deal

the list of needed things would be:

oil relief valve ( does my 502 have the right one?)
mechanical secondaries
bigger oil cooler
long exhaust risers

please add to this list and let me know any other thoughts of what i would need if i went with the zz502

also how much is my whole efi set up worth?

also the guy has a msd 6al box that comes with the motor... could i use this or not? any issues with marine conditions? obviously it will work
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

also the guy has a msd 6al box that comes with the motor... could i use this or not? any issues with marine conditions? obviously it will work
Sounds like you are on the right track. I have not heard good things about MSD in the Marine world, they seem to rust. I use the Marine DUI and it works well. The heads should be GM perf parts, they are similar to the Edelbrock oval ports. The 30 psi valves are cheap just get a new one. Get new hoses and fittings for the oil lines.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

ok so from what i have found so far here and in other forums my list is as follows....

mech advanced distributor
mech secondary carb
my 502mag alt and starter
30psi oil valve
bigger oil cooler
longer exhaust risers
bigger oil hoses

my distributor will work right?
what carb should i buy or what should i do to the one i have?
how big of a cooler should i go with and how big should the new hoses be?
and finally where is the best place to find exhaust and do i need totally new exhaust or just taller riser?

thank you so much to everyone especially @jeffswav and @rotax454
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered

also my current exhaust is factory manifolds and risers with captains call....
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

also my efi set up came with the mechanical pump hooked to the water pump and a electrical pump.... do i use both or do i need a different pump what are my options with that... shouldnt a carb be fine with just the mechanical one?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Registered

last question....

i got to thinking about the oil cooler situation and started wondering....

you obviously cant run a radiator for cooling the motor cause you lack the wind you would need but in the case of an oil cooler why couldnt you run a conventional with a fan hooked to it?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15800/

something like this^ which is pretty big even for automotive apps
Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

i'm running MSD with the 6al box on my 509. I pulled the dist and it was rusty, so i took it apart cleaned it up, coated it with some rust inhibitor, and put some dieelectric grease on it. Will be keeping an eye on it, to see how it holds up. Havn't had any problems with the 6al box either. My dist is lockedout, and havn't had any problems with except for the rust.

good luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cabin fever
i'm running MSD with the 6al box on my 509. I pulled the dist and it was rusty, so i took it apart cleaned it up, coated it with some rust inhibitor, and put some dieelectric grease on it. Will be keeping an eye on it, to see how it holds up. Havn't had any problems with the 6al box either. My dist is lockedout, and havn't had any problems with except for the rust.

good luck.
what do you have your timing locked in at and is your 6al retarding it any?

what kinda set up are you running cam compression etc
Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

what do you have your timing locked in at and is your 6al retarding it any?

what kinda set up are you running cam compression etc
502 block bored to 509. Aluminum heads, don't remember the specs on the cam off the top of my head, but its pretty aggressive. Roller rockers/lifters. Lightning water reduced headers (due to the high lift cam) Pro systems carb.

When I bought it it was set at 34 degrees. Motor is 10:1 In michigan 93 octane is pretty easy to find. In Iowa about the best I can do is 91 (92 once in awhile) so I bumped back to 32 degrees, and run the 91. I've been reading the plugs pretty frequently, and so far so good. I put about 35 hours on last summer. to my knowledge the box is not retarding the timing, but I will admit, I am not a guru on MSD ignition.

I also run an electical fuel pump, with no mechanical pump.

Hope this helps. I mainly lurk here, and always pick up some good info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.