454 questions >

454 questions

Notices

454 questions

Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 questions

I have a gen iv 454. I have been pricing exhaust and dont like what I am seeing. I am looking to upgrade my Formula a little. I have removed the silent thunder platform and am about to start modifications. My plan is to make my own set of headers and use header wrap to dissipate heat. I will then pipe the water to the back of the transom and tap it back into the exhaust. My question is does anyone see potential hazards or problems? I think it is possible to do what I am planning just wanted some other opinions. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Beside the whole fire thing I think you are all set. Just remember that fiberglass is made from oil.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

Yep, make sure you have fire insurance on your policy and that it is up to date
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Formula, have you research this? You might not gain that much in performance, if any. I just went with manifolds because all info I could find led me to believe I wouldn't gain anything with a stock engine. With that said, probably sound better with headers and you get the satisfaction of your working on it.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

I must not have made it clear about the header wrap and the re-introduction of water back into the system. I have friends that do high end auto restoration and have used header wrap on multiple occasions, I realize that it was used on an auto not a marine application but they use it on v-twin engines where your skin is right next to it. Thanks for the replies. The reason I am doin this is to start modifications to my motor which will include heads, intake, cam and carb. I have read on numerous post that stock manifolds are very restrictive and can hurt any modifications made due to lack of flow. I also plan to pocket port the heads and intake.

Last edited by FormulaSS; 02-22-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaSS
I must not have made it clear about the header wrap and the re-introduction of water back into the system. I have friends that do high end auto restoration and have used header wrap on multiple occasions, I realize that it was used on an auto not a marine application but they use it on v-twin engines where your skin is right next to it. Thanks for the replies. The reason I am doin this is to start modifications to my motor which will include heads, intake, cam and carb. I have read on numerous post that stock manifolds are very restrictive and can hurt any modifications made due to lack of flow. I also plan to pocket port the heads and intake.
Find yourself a set of 496 Merc manifold take offs. Cheap and you would be much better off.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Yeah if this was a good option do you really think everyone would be spending 5k per engine on headers? An automotive engine has 10 times the airflow around it to dissipate heat.

The increased temps down below would offset any hp gains from the headers, and the chance of something bad happening would not make it worth the risk. Also I see performance manifolds for sale on this site all the time from others who have upgraded to the big league headers
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FormulaSS
I have a gen iv 454. I have been pricing exhaust and dont like what I am seeing. I am looking to upgrade my Formula a little. I have removed the silent thunder platform and am about to start modifications. My plan is to make my own set of headers and use header wrap to dissipate heat. I will then pipe the water to the back of the transom and tap it back into the exhaust. My question is does anyone see potential hazards or problems? I think it is possible to do what I am planning just wanted some other opinions. Thanks.

This is way to dangerous to do on a boat with an enclosed engine. Not to mention it's completely against Coast Guard regulations. If anything were to happen(namely an explosion) which is quite likely, you would be in some serious trouble if someone were to get hurt. Simply put, it's not worth the dangers.

Darrell.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMOORE
This is way to dangerous to do on a boat with an enclosed engine. Not to mention it's completely against Coast Guard regulations. If anything were to happen(namely an explosion) which is quite likely, you would be in some serious trouble if someone were to get hurt. Simply put, it's not worth the dangers.

Darrell.
I agree. I understand that you plan on wrapping them, but there are a number of factors that I don't think you're considering properly.

1) It's not coast guard approved (you can be ticketed for your set-up)
2) It will void any fire insurance that you have on your motors
3) You could be found personally liable for any damage (property or to person) that your boat causes in a fire.
4) You will be putting people that you care about at risk for a few grand and a couple of miles per hour

I agree with f_inscreenname. If you want to get some Hp on the cheap buy a set of 496 HO manifolds. They have stainless risers, larger exh. openings through the riser, and support up to about 475-500hp. You can pick up a set used in great shape for around $550-650, complete per motor and you're done.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies everyone, just as I had expected I had overlooked something. I agree, I think a set of 496 manifolds or others will suffice. Thanks to everyone who replied. I was completely overlooking the explosion hazard. It happens when you get horsepower bound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.