Cam size with stock rockers >

Cam size with stock rockers

Notices

Cam size with stock rockers

Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam size with stock rockers

I was thinking about putting a new cam in my motor. The question I have is how "big" of a roller cam can I run with stock rocker arms? I have lunati lifters already so that shouldn't be a issue. And I'm running emi thunder manifolds too.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Comp Pro Magnum Stainless rockers, Crane golds would also be a good choice. This was one of my first upgrades, I have been running them for about 7 years and show no signs of wear. Get rid of the stamped steel GM rockers, they are not adjustable and a weak link.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
I always considered roller rockers to be one of the first things on my list of priorities. Just curious, you mention you have Lunati lifters already. Do you already have a roller cam in the motor?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Registered

Ya it's a retro fit cam
Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure as to what the biggest cam would be that you could run with stock rockers. Normally anyone running a roller cam would also be running roller rockers. The real question is how much cam can your engine handle. All depends on what heads, intake, carb, compression, exhaust you have now. All these parts along with the cam must compliment each other. Too much cam with out the other goodies and you'll just slow down. I do see that you have up graded the exhaust.

Last edited by picklenjim; 03-14-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered

I have the stock 502 heads the 088 rev port heads. I have a dart high rise intake with a 850 cfm carb and stock compression. Which I think is 8.5 to 1. I run the emi exhaust. I bought the motor the guy had the installed a roller cam already. I wanna run a cam to make good power and still not really turn the motor over 5200, since it's still stock lower and heads.