Props on #6 Drives >

Props on #6 Drives

Notices

Props on #6 Drives

Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Props on #6 Drives

A friend had 6's years ago and removed his props after each weekend. When I asked why he did this he informed that Mercury recommended this due to stress on the prop shaft.

Is this still an issue?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
A friend had 6's years ago and removed his props after each weekend. When I asked why he did this he informed that Mercury recommended this due to stress on the prop shaft.

Is this still an issue?
I thought you took them off to keep from getting stolen. I am interested if this is true.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited

Is this still an issue?
WOW thats a new one , we only take em off to test or switch prop pitch but she stays inside an alarmed shop and to date haven't needed any prop shafts . i would think the shaft is stressed alot more runnin at High rpm then sitting on a trailer lookin pretty
Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
WOW thats a new one , we only take em off to test or switch prop pitch but she stays inside an alarmed shop and to date haven't needed any prop shafts . i would think the shaft is stressed alot more runnin at High rpm then sitting on a trailer lookin pretty
LMAO!!!

Mine go on in the spring and (hopefully) don't come off until November. I could see removing them more often in a high salt content enviroment to help with corrosion control....but have never heard the stress on the shaft theory.

Craig
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered

Cool, good enough, they're stayin on.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Many recommended removing props on older #3, #3A, #4 and #5 when trailering a distance. The weight of the props casued some prop shaft seals to loosen up. THis usually happened in the hotter, Humid Climates. I don't think #6's had this issue. I just think removing them is piece of mind from getting stolen. I have a set of prop locks from TEAGUE that I use on mine.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Many recommended removing props on older #3, #3A, #4 and #5 when trailering a distance. The weight of the props casued some prop shaft seals to loosen up. THis usually happened in the hotter, Humid Climates. I don't think #6's had this issue. I just think removing them is piece of mind from getting stolen. I have a set of prop locks from TEAGUE that I use on mine.
best prop protection money can buy Bro
Attached Thumbnails Props on #6 Drives-persuader-001.jpg   Props on #6 Drives-persuader-002.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
best prop protection money can buy Bro
I agree! lol
Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Thanx Cigrocket, I was wondering where to get the 6 prop locks.