Making Power with engine temp?

Notices

Making Power with engine temp?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Kreed:

Looking at your Avatar I will assume those are your engines?
If they have aluminum heads and you are running in salt water, corrosion will be your biggest problem without freshwater cooling.
I would suggest for longevity and durability, add freshwater cooling on the engine ( you can use nice remote stringer mount coolers)and put in a 143 degree stat and some antifreeze and your cooling temperatures will not be a problem. Your water temps will run at about 160-170 degrees which is perfect for combustion efficiency and getting rid of condensation in the oil and engine. Properly cool your oil and keep those temps between 180 -230 degrees and your engines should love you for many hours.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks Ray. It does live in fresh water, but will go in salt on occasion. Im concerned that now that it has t-stats, water pressure will be to high, and Ive never installed relief valves. So Im wondering what is the easiest way to plumb them.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Fog,
The oil theromsat is best way to build oil temp. It restricts the oil flow to allow the oil temp to build to the 215-220 degree level that cooks off the water. There are numerous boaters including myself that show 100 degree or no water temp...no issues.
Ben
Thanks for the info.... I have been looking at oil thermostats, for the cost and time to install I wondered if just by-passing the oil cooler might do the trick?

Sorry about the thread hijack Kreed, it was just that your initial question was foremost in my mind right now......I am trying to answer similar questions to yours...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
Thanks for the info.... I have been looking at oil thermostats, for the cost and time to install I wondered if just by-passing the oil cooler might do the trick?

Sorry about the thread hijack Kreed, it was just that your initial question was foremost in my mind right now......I am trying to answer similar questions to yours...
No problem!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=FogduckerIII;3361839]Thanks for the info.... I have been looking at oil thermostats, for the cost and time to install I wondered if just by-passing the oil cooler might do the trick?

If you can size the oil cooler accurately, you should be able to eliminate the oil cooler. I would say that if you can hold your typical WOT run to under 240 degrees (short period), you are good. It sounds like your current oil cooler may to be big. Big is good only if you have a oil thermostat.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=BenPerfected;3361976]
Originally Posted by FogduckerIII

If you can size the oil cooler accurately, you should be able to eliminate the oil cooler. I would say that if you can hold your typical WOT run to under 240 degrees (short period), you are good. It sounds like your current oil cooler may to be big. Big is good only if you have a oil thermostat.
Stock Mercruiser oil cooler......I think I will try with it by-passed, I will not remove it, just the lines, if the temps are not right I can always hook it back up and go the oil thermostat route.......friggin boats......
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kreed
Besides removing water from the oil, are there any other benifits to running a hotter(180 to 220) oil temp?
I'm slowly working up to trying to get my engines to run at a stable 180F water temp, a little bit at a time.

Even though as some say here oil temp is most important, seems to me that aiming for 210 - 220 oil temp but running at 160 or less water temp is a contrast in efficiency. One is trying to fight the other.

The closer you can get them both to where they really want to be, that being closer to each other but still running in an efficient temp zone for cooling and lubrication, the happier the engine will be. And, its easier to control each temp if closer to the other.

I can't help but cringe a bit seeing my engines running at over 5000rpm with only 140F water temp. Cylinder wall temps surely aren't as warm as they need to be when surrounded by a waterjacket to promote good long term piston ring wear. Not to mention valve guides, or hot valves closing on super cooled valve seats etc.

Hence my personal goal to see a stable 170 to 180F with 140F thermostats and a few 1/8" bypass holes in them.

Maybe I'm talking out my azz. But its what makes logical sense to me based on experience outside the marine world. Only time will tell if I'm really an idiot or not
Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 540s with alu heads,no t stat water temp 120 max oil temp 190 after a hard run,oil temp is key for wear cool water temp helps with detionation when running high comp,cool air will make more power but that is hard in a boat seeing we boat in warm weather,4 seasons no problems want to add motor is closed cooled my 2 cents
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rookie17
I'm slowly working up to trying to get my engines to run at a stable 180F water temp, a little bit at a time.

Even though as some say here oil temp is most important, seems to me that aiming for 210 - 220 oil temp but running at 160 or less water temp is a contrast in efficiency. One is trying to fight the other.

The closer you can get them both to where they really want to be, that being closer to each other but still running in an efficient temp zone for cooling and lubrication, the happier the engine will be. And, its easier to control each temp if closer to the other.

I can't help but cringe a bit seeing my engines running at over 5000rpm with only 140F water temp. Cylinder wall temps surely aren't as warm as they need to be when surrounded by a waterjacket to promote good long term piston ring wear. Not to mention valve guides, or hot valves closing on super cooled valve seats etc.

Hence my personal goal to see a stable 170 to 180F with 140F thermostats and a few 1/8" bypass holes in them.

Maybe I'm talking out my azz. But its what makes logical sense to me based on experience outside the marine world. Only time will tell if I'm really an idiot or not
Rookie,
You are not likely an idiot, but you might be missing the point on oil temp's. I am from the school that says in a HP marine application that parts like the valve train are going to wear out well before the rings. Many believe the water temp isn't a big deal at anywhere between 100 -160. To remove the water from condensation and maybe small internal leaks out of the oil, you need a way to get the oil temp to 212+ on a regular basis. IMO, how you are you going to manage the oil temp is more important that the water temp. Even Mercury used a oil temp thermostat on the 500HP.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
Besides removing water from the oil, are there any other benifits to running a hotter(180 to 220) oil temp?
Actually no benefit quite the opposite in fact . On my truck I feel safe at oil temps at 180 but getting to 220 I start to ease up on the throttle If I just can high temps just kills the additives first. But keeping the engine otherwise hot as possible (water) makes more power if you can control it.
Smokey Yunick tried all his life to control high temps and run on the brink of detonation.. his Hot Vapor Engines was something to think about...
http://www.legendarycollectorcars.co...clusive-video/

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 03-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Well, I'll throw in my .02. Living in the land of NASCAR, I talk to engine guys all the time, and some of the best know names are here. They run (IMO) pretty much like we do - at or near full load for hours - on high compression, carbed engines.

None of the guys I've asked run coolant temps under190 or so, and several things I've read or beeen told indicate they make best power at 210. They of course want oil temps at about the same. These are small blocks turning out 850hp for hours at a time.

So, I agree with Rookie: if you are not using forced induction and low temps for detonation control, you should be in the 160+ range. I run 170 at sustained WOT, oil temps peak ~220 (slightly high IMO). No issues, and I've noticed a bonus of decreased fuel burn.

I've heard Merc used the 143 stats to decrease salt damage in salt/brackish water, so perhaps that is where the 140 came from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.