Which valve springs? >

Which valve springs?

Notices

Which valve springs?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which valve springs?

Hi guys, just in the process of rebuilding the 781 heads I bought for my 454 and have noticed the valve springs will not transfer over from my old peanut port heads!

The stock springs on the peanuts have a cage type support around the outside and the original very old and tired springs from the oval port heads are dual with no cage!

What would be the most cost effective replacement spring that would fit the 781 heads?

When I stripped the 781's down half the springs had rotating thingy's on the bottom(technical term!!!) and half had shims! What gives?? Do all the springs need to be shimmed?
If so, what depth am I looking for?

Thanks in advance and apoligies for my technical terms!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by strega
Hi guys, just in the process of rebuilding the 781 heads I bought for my 454 and have noticed the valve springs will not transfer over from my old peanut port heads!

The stock springs on the peanuts have a cage type support around the outside and the original very old and tired springs from the oval port heads are dual with no cage!

What would be the most cost effective replacement spring that would fit the 781 heads?

When I stripped the 781's down half the springs had rotating thingy's on the bottom(technical term!!!) and half had shims! What gives?? Do all the springs need to be shimmed?
If so, what depth am I looking for?

Thanks in advance and apoligies for my technical terms!
most use isky tool room springs,yes all springs have to be shimmed to their proper spring height..you will need to match the springs to your cam specs or what the mfr of the cam requires as in spring pressures...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
most use isky tool room springs,yes all springs have to be shimmed to their proper spring height..you will need to match the springs to your cam specs or what the mfr of the cam requires as in spring pressures...
Cam is standard Mercruiser Mag Alpha 330hp.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The rotators are not needed, however if you eliminate them you will need spacers. Either way you need to set the spring height.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Registered

You guys any thoughts on the make and model of springs I should use for 781 heads with a stock 330hp cam?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Registered

Anyone?? Am a little lost without this info!!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered

Summit usually suggests springs to the cam you plan on running, but if you find out the stock spring specs you can match them easily enough.