Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
need help with gps speedo install or instructions!! >

need help with gps speedo install or instructions!!

Notices

need help with gps speedo install or instructions!!

Old 05-25-2002, 04:00 PM
MERCMAN

Default need help with gps speedo install or instructions!!

my gaffrig gps speedo antenna didnt come with directions and i couldnt find them on livorsi .com , if i remember correctly you have to install the antenna free of any obstructions 360 degrees. will someone give me some ideas od where they mounted theres and how well its working , dont really have any where to mount it on bow and it looks as if im supposed to just use silicone or 5200 to hold it donw? no mounting hardware??? or if someone just has the instructions? thanks , [email protected]

Old 05-26-2002, 09:28 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

They ask for a location that has a clear view of the sky in all directions. It goes on to say Make sure you select a location where there is minimal chance of signal blockage from rigging,fiberglass,people or other structures (use an extension pole if necessary.

I mounted mine under the dash Don't no how it will work I have a feeling it will be fine

If you need a full set of instructions (30pages) Or just the quick start guide (1 page) let me know I guess I could fax it.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There can be no ferrous metal or carbon fiber in the path of the receiver/antenna. I just installed a Nordskog Digital and put the antenna under the dash on top of my glove box inserted into the dash. I mounted it on adhesive backed velcro. The antenna MUST face up, like a computer mouse sitting on a desk. So far it works great. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Registered

I mounted mine under the dash on top of the console where it is out of sight. I used duct tape at first to make sure it worked, then mounted it with silicone. NO problems, its on a 30'Spectre.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking speedo's.

It seems as though every Cigarette we get in has the antenna installed under the dash. Seems to work. I have installed a few on arches and on the decks of some boats with 4200 and they seem to be just fine to. You might want to use 4200 instead of 5200 if you ever think you will have to replace the antenna or move it at a later date. 5200 is some hateful stuff to get off if you ever have to remove something. 4200 is alot more forgiving.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
Old 05-26-2002, 03:07 PM
MERCMAN

thanks guys i really appreciate all the help from everyone.

john

Old 05-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Registered

Mine is mounted on top o the pax side dash, behind the panel rise but not yet under the windscreen. You need to have a clear line of sight from about 30 degrees above the horizon on up. Satellites less than about 30 degrees above the horizon are of little use. Also, since a boat doesn't need to get accurate altitude, the number of satellites required for nav and speed is less than for aircraft, so you should usually find plenty of satelites fairly high up in the sky.

-Greg