vovlo penta to merc?? >

vovlo penta to merc??

Notices

vovlo penta to merc??

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vovlo penta to merc??

ok, so i have a boat inwhich i have a 4.3/ merc engine and matching alpha 1 drive...

however the boat is not fitting the bill as of late (namely i just moved to a new home on a new lake and id have to have a dock about 100 feet long to accomidate my boat as my draft is too deep.
(by the way the boat is a 1990 conquest 20 foot cuddy cabin)...

now i have found a hull in the personals that better suites my needs and that i happen to like alot. it is a 1992 wellcraft excell 20 sx.. its in decent shape and i am more than capable of doing the few minor repairs it needs... however this boat used to have a 4.3 volvo penta setup...

my question is, can i put my power unit in this boat. i dont have much experience with vovlo penta, and my concearn is that the outdrive cannot be bolted to the transome... however i figured id ask cause i didnt know if the hole in the transom was universal to both merc and penta transom plates...

thanks in advance...
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep the penta. It's a better drive unless you need trim then it's an issue.
Then it depends on the cut out for you drive but your not putting a merc in place of a penta without a transom rework or a very expensive transom plate adapter.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered

id keep the penta set up if it were there lol.... and i love wakeboarding so trim is an issue...

my father owns a welding and fab shop, so if its just a plate then i can probably get it done... if anyone has any input on how the plate needs to be made and applied that would be much appreciated...

like i said, i have a boat that i dont mind taking the "guts out of" andi found a boat that both astetically and price range pleases me lol, i was just wondering if it were impossible, and if not how much effort time and money would be needed...

the input so far is great thanks...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

It will bolt right in. I use the same transom jig when cutting for volvo sx, alpha, and bravo. The older 280-290 drives had a big tansom cut out and Volvo makes a bolt in conversion kit to adapt a newer SX or Merc drive. As a side note all the later 280/290 models had hydraulic trim which works quite well.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Registered

Just keep the Volvo drive- the engines (4.3 v6 ?) are pretty much identical. Volvo drives are good stuff and parts are plentifull.