Oil Extractor

Notices

Oil Extractor

Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Extractor

Hey Guys!

About a year ago I bought an "oil extractor" at a local store [Princess Auto] it works great for extracting oil from my motor, I bought a 10ft chunk of clear tubing and now I can leave the cannister part on the ground [or dock] and just have the hose going down the dipstick hole.

The only drawback to it is you have to continually "pump" the handle to create enough vacuum to lift the oil up the hose and into the cannister.

Anyway...........A few days ago I was in the same store and they sell the exact same unit, but, with a hook up on it for an air hose? If I bought this one would I be able to just hook it up to a compressor and "let it run" until all the oil was out of the pan? Or do you still need to stop and "reset" the vacuum cannister?

I dont want to buy another one if I am gonna have to "babysit" it while it sucks the oil out, I will just keep the one I have, if, however I can set it up and then putter away with other stuff while it sucks the oil out I will buy one

Thanks for the input guys!
Michael
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what good it would do to apply pressure to that valve- what you need is a vacuum right ?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

I have one made by vacula,,works off my compressor and creats vacume,,works better when the oil is warm..

http://www.mechanicstoolsupply.com/S...71/index.html#
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Registered

Yes, you need a vacuum, from what I have been told it uses the air pressure to create a vacuum, not sure how? I assume there is a bladder or valve in there that lets the compressed air "blow out" the existing air to create the vacuum, I have heard they work pretty well.

Hey Fixall!

Thanks! for the link, the one I have now looks like a giant "bicycle pump, except the bottom part of the cylinder is where the oil is stored, I agree it works MUCH better with warm oil, thats why I would like to find something that pumps it out steady [and fast]

Thanks!
Michael

Last edited by n20michael; 04-20-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I have an electric oil extractor. However I do have a brake bleeding tool that does hook up to my air compressor and "sucks" the brake fluid out for bleeding brakes. It works by air blowing over a nozzle and creating a suction down the nozzle. Ergo high pressure blowing over the nozzle sucks the low pressure from below. Kind of like how an airplane wing works.

I would buy the one that hooks up to air. You won't have to babysit it at all.