Buying used headers >

Buying used headers

Notices

Buying used headers

Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used headers

I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on buying used headers, I'm kinda kicking myself in the butt because I could have gotten 2 sets of cmi big tubes for 3k when I bought my boat , but under the advice of a few engine builders told me to steer clear of used headers . Knowing the guy i bought from kept his stuff impeccable and the headers had 180hrs on them but sat around for 10 to 12 years. After talking to my prospective engine builder today he said we could have pressure tested them and probably used them and saved myself about 5k. What are your thought on this? Would you buy used to put on brand new motors to save a few thousand?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

If you can, find some Keith Eickert aluminum headers. They last forever produce as much power as stellings or cmi and won't leak. IMO used stainless headers are a gamble, even if they pressure test fine when you get them doesn't mean they will be ok after a few hours of use. Just not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
If you can, find some Keith Eickert aluminum headers. They last forever produce as much power as stellings or cmi and won't leak. IMO used stainless headers are a gamble, even if they pressure test fine when you get them doesn't mean they will be ok after a few hours of use. Just not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.
After a while they are all used.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck Diggler
I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on buying used headers, I'm kinda kicking myself in the butt because I could have gotten 2 sets of cmi big tubes for 3k when I bought my boat , but under the advice of a few engine builders told me to steer clear of used headers . Knowing the guy i bought from kept his stuff impeccable and the headers had 180hrs on them but sat around for 10 to 12 years. After talking to my prospective engine builder today he said we could have pressure tested them and probably used them and saved myself about 5k. What are your thought on this? Would you buy used to put on brand new motors to save a few thousand?
we could have pressure tested them
Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
After a while they are all used.
True, but the difference that that you really don't know how they were treated.... I bought a set that were fresh water only but they had salt deposits inside! They were pressure tested, fine, and had 3 leaks. When I tried to send them back the guy refused to return my calls. To me used headers are a gamble, might get lucky, might get screwed. After my CMI experience I'll stick with Eickerts and not buy used stainless steel headers.