Single or twin fuel usage? >

Single or twin fuel usage?

Notices

Single or twin fuel usage?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
My 30' twin 425HP boat uses less fuel at cruise than my single 600HP did. Just depends on the boat / motors. WOT, it will certainly use more.
This has been my experience as well. Twins seem to be more efficient than a single. I've brought this up on a number of occasions - two boats cruising from Lake St. Clair to Put-in-Bay, one is a 26' Nova with twin 350s, one is a 21' Liberator with a single Ford 460. The Liberator used MORE gas to make the same trip at a cruising RPM. Wide open may be a different story, but we've never tested it.

Especially if your new boat is an EFI or MPI you will likely get better gas mileage up to around 45Mph, and the difference will be negligible at best after that speed.

The argument against twins should come down to maintenance, not gas consumption. Changing oil, filters, fuel separators, 16 plugs, two sets of wires, two drives to change the fluid in, gets pricey.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rexcramer1
It may use less fuel at cruise but how do the speeds compare? Is it 10 mph slower? I find it hard to believe that two engines pushing a heavier boat could use less fuel than a single. Was the single supercharged?
Not supercharged. Actually at same RPM the twin is about 5-7 mph faster. That being said, I can cruise at a much better clip at 3200 RPM with the formula than the cig. I think the biggest factor in the fuel economy is the fact that the single needed to spin harder to make a good cruise speed. I was constantly trying to "keep up with the group" and was in the 4000 RPM range most of the time. In the formula I can keep the revs down and the secondaries closed to achieve the same speeds.

Just my real world experience.

It sounds like you are comparing a High perf single to relatively stock twins, much like I was. I would agree that a single 454 mag vs twin 454 mags would be a different story.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to consider when dealing with a twin engine boat is not just cost of maintenance but ease of maintenance. If you cuss a blue streak gashing your knuckles changing those plugs on your single, then you will really weave a tapestry of obscenity when you have to squeeze in between those manifolds on a twin engine boat! Replace a starter on the port side? Fuggetaboudit! Time to pull an engine. Changing things like seawater pumps can be a beotch on a single engine boat, but it's a load of fun on a twin, especially if there is not much access room in front of the engines. Just something else to consider if you do your own work.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Another thing to consider when dealing with a twin engine boat is not just cost of maintenance but ease of maintenance. If you cuss a blue streak gashing your knuckles changing those plugs on your single, then you will really weave a tapestry of obscenity when you have to squeeze in between those manifolds on a twin engine boat! Replace a starter on the port side? Fuggetaboudit! Time to pull an engine. Changing things like seawater pumps can be a beotch on a single engine boat, but it's a load of fun on a twin, especially if there is not much access room in front of the engines. Just something else to consider if you do your own work.
He ain't kidding about the cussing. However on the fuel end of the question...I average about 2 mpg around 45mph cruise speed at about 3500rpm with twin carbed 7.4's.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

It seems that 2 mpg at cruise seems to be fairly common. Thats close to or better than I'm getting now with my 242.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get about 2.5 at 45-55 and around 2.3 at 60, which I think is exceptional.

I have a medium weight 28.8 foot boat and a single but modern EFI 700 horse "big block."

Lets not forget about prop changes on twins.

Want to do double duty on your rig and use it as a toy tower or skiier-?

To do it well you are probably going to have to keep two sets of props and probably an identical spare for your 2 main wheels.

Uncle Dave
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
I get about 2.5 at 45-55 and around 2.3 at 60, which I think is exceptional.

I have a medium weight 28.8 foot boat and a single but modern EFI 700 horse "big block."

Lets not forget about prop changes on twins.

Want to do double duty on your rig and use it as a toy tower or skiier-?

To do it well you are probably going to have to keep two sets of props and probably an identical spare for your 2 main wheels.

Uncle Dave
My 242 is too big for waterskiing, wakeboarding, ect, let alone a 292. Thats what friends are for. I'll go in their boats for that. One set of props is all I need.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get it.

At the same time it depends on what you do.
On occasion I will pull a skier across the channel to Catalina in the ocean at speed.

Ill also tow a big inflatable full of kids across a 20 mile lake on the way to a campsite

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Single or twin fuel usage?-ski-tow.jpg