Distributor Gear Failure on 454 Mag EFI

Notices

Distributor Gear Failure on 454 Mag EFI

Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caldera
Attachment 571514

Total lost. Broken camshaft, pistons, block too also damaged crankshaft....

I need a new engine. I will post serial number, maybe someone knows where i can find same one.
Caldera,
When and if you get your boat rinning, pls get a gps chartplotter. You can even get an app for your tablet or cell phone. Navionics U.S and Canada works very good as long as you have reception. There are plenty of used chartplotters out there for sale also. What happened to you was bad but it could have been much worse. Not being sarcastic or demeaning in any way Just looking out for ya. Pete

Last edited by veloc410; 09-21-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by veloc410
I am so glad I have bravos. He has transmissions right. Can one be reversed. Then both engines coulbe standard. Life would be easier. Dont know much about the transmissions
Nope. Velvet drives run same direction as their engine. Many newer types can be reversed, but not that one. Some borg gear reductions run opposite output from input, but they don't make the same ratio in both output rotations. My trannys in the hatteras are that way. Engines turn in, props turn out, so my opposite rotation engine is on diff side than most.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Nope. Velvet drives run same direction as their engine. Many newer types can be reversed, but not that one. Some borg gear reductions run opposite output from input, but they don't make the same ratio in both output rotations. My trannys in the hatteras are that way. Engines turn in, props turn out, so my opposite rotation engine is on diff side than most.
Hopefully he didn't do damage to the tranny. There has to be more to the boat also . He did hit something .correct
Old 10-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bayley
Wow, way to bring back a post from the past.

Thanks for the update though. I've been contemplating replacing the dizzys with MSD units for a while now, but have otherwise been running stock MerCruiser distributors.

FWIW: I replaced the bronze gear with a factory replacement gear and haven't had any problems in 8 years.
If you have high oil pressure, heavy weight oil and get on plane before the engine is warmed up. It Wil eat the gears. When you install the new gear, it will most likely need to fit for proper play between the dist housing wear plate and gear face. .010 is the gap most use and need. I removed over .010 on my new gear to get the gap right. Mine was melonized gear. Mallory, msd, gm.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully he didn't do damage to the tranny. There has to be more to the boat also . He did hit something .correct
I am not sure. He pulled engine with boat in the water still. We will know for sure when the prop is there to see. I think mebbe engine let go and he mistook the noise-vibration for using prop as a depthfinder...I really doubt hitting bottom can snap 2 rods like that. If it did, prop will probably be seriously trashed. Those back 2 rods just look like the bearings failed at speed and snapped them.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 10-16-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I have installed dozens of Jasper engines in cars, FedEx trucks and boats. I even put one in my mothers boat a couple of years ago. Have never had a complaint or a warranty claim. I believe they are probably the best stock rebuilder out there.
Yep im goingto take engine from jasper.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fbc25el
It looks might of got some water in the cylinders and hydrolocked and broke the rods.
Maybe because cylinder head gaskets were killed.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Registered

Caldera,
When and if you get your boat rinning, pls get a gps chartplotter. You can even get an app for your tablet or cell phone. Navionics U.S and Canada works very good as long as you have reception. There are plenty of used chartplotters out there for sale also. What happened to you was bad but it could have been much worse. Not being sarcastic or demeaning in any way Just looking out for ya. Pete
I didnt hit bottom. I realize that i was wrong. I was on same place with another boat to check how deep is the channel.. looks like engine had problem and that's why blew. This is my opinion.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
So the konrads 540 would need the right trannies to get them spinning in .? They are controlled by transmission I've heard.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Registered

Im not sure about another engine now. How to avoid same problem? If leftside was ****@up maybe right side is also in bad condition.

Quick Reply: Distributor Gear Failure on 454 Mag EFI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.