Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
got ripped off on some parts and machine work, need advice.. >

got ripped off on some parts and machine work, need advice..

Notices

got ripped off on some parts and machine work, need advice..

Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
The sad thing is you didn't even have to post this and I knew who you were talking about.

I don't know what happened over there, seems he had a very good thing going for a long time, the last few years his buzz in the marine world has not been good at all. Worse yet check out some of the snowmobile forums, you can track bad service back 5 years on him there.

I have assisted area repair shops in their defense against consumer complaints as a technical advisor. I can tell you that most cases end in a 50/50 split between the consumer and shop in this state. The consumer definately has an adavantage in NYS, I would pursue. However, if he is going out of business your efforts may just award you with a sheet of paper....you can't get blood out of a stone.
4bus,
I snowmobile also, and had always heard good things about HTG in the past, that was one of the reasons i dealt with him and wasnt worried about gettting ripped off. once this deal went south i emailed a few guys i know who race sleds in the syracuse area that i hadnt talked to in a few years, and the feedback i got was not good...

chances are you know some of the same Oneida lake racers i do!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
4bus,
I snowmobile also, and had always heard good things about HTG in the past, that was one of the reasons i dealt with him and wasnt worried about gettting ripped off. once this deal went south i emailed a few guys i know who race sleds in the syracuse area that i hadnt talked to in a few years, and the feedback i got was not good...

chances are you know some of the same Oneida lake racers i do!
Ya I know a few The lake bars in the fall are a fun place to be, the drunken stories that fly about what guys have for the coming season are comical to listen to before the ice freezes.

Most are refered to as the "Oneida Lake Liars Club" but some are straight shooters.

I live on the lake not far from maple bay where all the racing takes place.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Ya I know a few The lake bars in the fall are a fun place to be, the drunken stories that fly about what guys have for the coming season are comical to listen to before the ice freezes.

Most are refered to as the "Oneida Lake Liars Club" but some are straight shooters.

I live on the lake not far from maple bay where all the racing takes place.
I'm familiar with the "OLLC"

I raced at ESTA for many years, now i pretty much just race out of NYIRP. too much $$$ to run both places, plus i enjoy being on the lake a lot more than the hot race track now at this point in my life!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you bought used parts! end of story. you said yourself you didn't even open the bags when you bought them and you are going to spec these things out like they are suppose to be new, good luck. why would you waste your time buying used parts when you can buy them cheap? i have personally had great relations with this person for many years and you are bound to have a problem sooner or later and he has been nothing but good to me. i know this man well enough that i would stand behind him 100 percent. sounds to me like there is more to this story and i can tell you that you need to go see this person man to man and if he is at fault he will make good on it, take your parts too.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

HOLY CRAP !!! Wher did all this come from !!! You sell a guy a "super clean" set of aluminum manifolds and stainless risors for $1250....they are like new. He was whining about the bolts so I have new bolts for him.... Sell him a 500hp roller cam, "used" but like new, hydraulic roller lifters in good shape, 16) 3/8" hardened pushrods in perfect shape and a set of double valve springs to match the cam....$500 ! Then go through his heads ...touch up the seats, install new seals and install the new springs at the proper height for $300.... He complained about the lifters being .001" too small so I said I would swap him for a $500 set....but that deal is off now !!!
AND I would like to know what idiot said the heads were not touched.....seriously !!!!!
SORRY....I try to do good for people who working on a budget...these parts would all work perfect in his boat!! He has my e-mail add and my shop phone and he knows where I am located.... CONTACT ME CAM......I have a good reputation and I don't need you slandering me !!!!
Thanks Rob
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTGMotorsports
HOLY CRAP !!! Wher did all this come from !!! You sell a guy a "super clean" set of aluminum manifolds and stainless risors for $1250....they are like new. He was whining about the bolts so I have new bolts for him.... Sell him a 500hp roller cam, "used" but like new, hydraulic roller lifters in good shape, 16) 3/8" hardened pushrods in perfect shape and a set of double valve springs to match the cam....$500 ! Then go through his heads ...touch up the seats, install new seals and install the new springs at the proper height for $300.... He complained about the lifters being .001" too small so I said I would swap him for a $500 set....but that deal is off now !!!
AND I would like to know what idiot said the heads were not touched.....seriously !!!!!
SORRY....I try to do good for people who working on a budget...these parts would all work perfect in his boat!! He has my e-mail add and my shop phone and he knows where I am located.... CONTACT ME CAM......I have a good reputation and I don't need you slandering me !!!!
Thanks Rob

When I brought up the lifter issue you did tell me you had ones at your shop to swap out, then when I called you to tell you I wanted to come pick them up you tell me they are at somebodys house and don’t know when you will get them…. I have left MULTIPLE messages for you over the past 2 weeks about wanting to get them and no reply back at all.

Pushrods, 2 of them are the wrong length (2 are 8.500 other 6 are 8.550), sent you a message about that, got no reply to that either…

Heads, you didn’t do anything to them except install used springs, no seats were touched at all, look at the pic I posted of them, do they look touched up?

RMbuilder (bob madara) saw the heads and agreed nothing was done to any of the seats or valves. He also agreed the springs were used, although he did say they looked low hour as there was not much wear on the ends of them. How did you set spring height when there wasn’t one single shim on any of the valve springs??

Another shop also saw the heads and agreed nothing was done to the valves or seats. I wouldn’t be spending $400 getting these heads re-done now as we speak if you did what you said you did. How was that .598 lift cam gonna work with only .605 seal to guide clearance on some valves???? All the guides are having to be shortened to get the proper clearance….

Contact you? I have left about 9 messages over the past 3 weeks that were not returned. Sent you an email also with no reply..…
Old 05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

If anyone has a problem with anything I do come back and see me....I am at HTG 8-5 monday thru friday. I have NEVER sold anybody anything that did'nt work just fine....or I make good on it....HTG phone # is 716-773-6131 If you call my cell phone from a restricted # you probably will not get a response...sorry !
Cam...if you want to bring your stuff back I will match up your pushrods and do a complete $400 valve job for you at no cost....
Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered

Sounds like the guy is willing to stand behind his work. Also sounds like he's willing to work with ya on these issues. In the big picture of things, it's not like this was a $30k motor...relax. This is small stuff....let him make it right.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the exact situation I ran into. HTG claims to never have sold a product that didn't work?? I wish I still had pictures of the train wreck pile of **** I got. I feel that you shouldn't have to bring something back and make it right since it should be right the first time. Don't try barking back at me cause you know what you sold me and I know it was intentional. Oh yea, forget about them answering the phone. I've been there to. Have someone else call that has a different area code to see if they are open. Worked for me.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTGMotorsports
If anyone has a problem with anything I do come back and see me....I am at HTG 8-5 monday thru friday. I have NEVER sold anybody anything that did'nt work just fine....or I make good on it....HTG phone # is 716-773-6131 If you call my cell phone from a restricted # you probably will not get a response...sorry !
Cam...if you want to bring your stuff back I will match up your pushrods and do a complete $400 valve job for you at no cost....

Rob,

all of this could have been avoided by simply returning any of the multiple messages i left by phone in the past 2+ weeks, or replying to the email or text i sent in the past 2+ weeks. when someone is trying to get a part situation resolved and the shop wont respond back to any calls or emails for 2+ weeks what are you supposed to think, or left to do about it???

Honestly,
do you think i'm making this stuff up about the pushrods, or valves and seats not being touched, clearance not right, ETC?

what motivation would i have by making this stuff up?? i have nothing to gain by it. all this is doing is costing me MORE $$$ and loosing me more time.

i wanted to have my motor done and in my boat 3 about weeks ago instead i had to take my heads to another shop last saturday to get them done so i might actually get in the water this summer... so i have to cough up close to $1000 between the headwork and the lifters. trust me i wouldnt be spending $1000 of my money on this stuff to just try to make you look bad.

as for your offer, its too late on the heads, as i said i took them elsewhere on sat 5/7/11. new lifters are ordered also, they will be here tommorow... i paid you already to freshen my heads up so I'm failing to see how this offer helps me out?

basically the only way to make it right with me would be get me the the matched set of 8 pushrods, get me good the used roller lifters we talked about in mid April, and refund me the $300 for head work. or refund me the $300 for the headwork and the $650 for all the other parts i bought and i will bring every single part back to you. The choice is yours.

Last edited by gsxr1216; 05-10-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.