Mounting a Thru hull transducer 88 Baja >

Mounting a Thru hull transducer 88 Baja

Notices

Mounting a Thru hull transducer 88 Baja

Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a Thru hull transducer 88 Baja

Hey guys, going to mount my depth finder/gps and after discussing transom mounts decided to mount it inside the engine compartment. I have heard that some Bajas come with a factory dip in the hull to mount a transducer. Does anyone know if they did this in 88 (240 sport).

If not....
What is the composition of my hull, I looked online bit couldn't find anything for my specific boat. I would like it to work with just mount it to the hull... But I don't mind making the necessary cuts to fit the transducer, I just want to make sure I have all the facts right first.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered

Not sure about your Baja, but in my Hammer I was able to put it right on the center line of the hull. It is flat there, and apparently not cored with wood. If cored it will not work there unless you remove the wood where you want to mount it. An easy way to tell if it will work where you want to mount it is seal it in a baggy of water and lay it on the floor. If it works there then it is OK to mount it there. Good Luck.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by astar77350
Hey guys, going to mount my depth finder/gps and after discussing transom mounts decided to mount it inside the engine compartment. I have heard that some Bajas come with a factory dip in the hull to mount a transducer. Does anyone know if they did this in 88 (240 sport).

If not....
What is the composition of my hull, I looked online bit couldn't find anything for my specific boat. I would like it to work with just mount it to the hull... But I don't mind making the necessary cuts to fit the transducer, I just want to make sure I have all the facts right first.
i asked pretty much asked the same question a few weeks ago, but didnt really get a definitive answer except the put it in the bag trick and test it that someone else mentioned.

mines a '90 baja 250.
heres the pic of my bilge, the area i circled i thought may be for a shoot through but its all rounded in the bottom so i dont know what its really for! i'm thinking of putting a shoot through in that spot though!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered

Yes you should have a place under the engine, where there is a 'dip' that is not cored to put your shoot-thur transducer.

Mine did, same boat - 88 240 Sport
Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Yes you should have a place under the engine, where there is a 'dip' that is not cored to put your shoot-thur transducer.

Mine did, same boat - 88 240 Sport
Is the dip in the place that is circled in the picture above. did you mount yours while your engine was still in the boat? I'm not very big so I can get into the engine bay, but getting underneath the engine is difficult. I installed a new bilge pump last summer... but barely!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by astar77350
Is the dip in the place that is circled in the picture above. did you mount yours while your engine was still in the boat? I'm not very big so I can get into the engine bay, but getting underneath the engine is difficult. I installed a new bilge pump last summer... but barely!
Yeah it should be around that area that is circled in the pic above.

I had my motor out of the boat as part of a total reconstruction/rerig of the boat. You may be able to remove the alternator or the sea water pump and get down there to glue it down...
Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

haha! i replaced the alternator last year as well... not to fun, but I will give it a shot, let you guys know how it goes