Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Scorpion rocker clatter >

Scorpion rocker clatter

Notices

Scorpion rocker clatter

Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Blue thanks, do you recommend doing the eo, ic method or tdc then 5pm turn and do both for that cylinder, since ill be in the compression and power stroke area??
Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Registered

Starting with cylinder 1 turn the crank until you see the intake valve close, then about 1/16-1/8 more turn of the crank. Then set both valves on cylinder 1. Then go to cylinder 3 and you will find you only need to turn the crank a small amount to have its intake valve just closing, then do cylinder three both valves. Continue 5,7,2,4,6,8 till all are set. Doing them in this order really cuts down on how much crank turning you have to do and makes it easy to keep track of where you are at.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Starting with cylinder 1 turn the crank until you see the intake valve close, then about 1/16-1/8 more turn of the crank. Then set both valves on cylinder 1. Then go to cylinder 3 and you will find you only need to turn the crank a small amount to have its intake valve just closing, then do cylinder three both valves. Continue 5,7,2,4,6,8 till all are set. Doing them in this order really cuts down on how much crank turning you have to do and makes it easy to keep track of where you are at.
This may work but it don't seem to me that it would be the most accurate way and the cyl. sequence don't seem to make sense either. 1/16 to 1/8 turn on the crank after the intake closes would not have the lifter anywhere near the lowest spot on the cam. I always set #1 cyl. in firing position or TDC. Check that the timing pointer is on zero. Then I adjust both valves on #1. Then I turn the crank 1/4 turn or 90 degrees and adjust both valves on the next cyl. in the firing order which would be #8. Then turn the crank another 1/4 turn and adjust both valves on the next cyl. in the firing order which would be #4. Continue the same way until all are done. 1 and 3/4 revolutions of the crank and your done. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. This way you are approximately 1/2 revolution of the crank after the intake closes and approximately 1/2 revolution of the crank before the exhaust is going to open.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered

Been doing it that way for years and never missed a perfect valvetrain setup yet. You just need to make sure you are off the ramp. Do it enough and you will see how efficient this way is. But to each his own.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Bob m gave me a new firing order with the cam swap but not looking at paper work now.
Makes sense bc both valves are closed right inbetween compression and firing strokes...
Appreciate all the help as usual...