Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lake's near Dayton Ohio for test ride?? >

Lake's near Dayton Ohio for test ride??

Notices

Lake's near Dayton Ohio for test ride??

Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Lake's near Dayton Ohio for test ride??

I'm planning to head 8 hours to Ohio to hopefully buy a 22' Daytona.

The rain has been brutal and non stop, and the lakes are much higher and potentially crap (floating lower units "hazards") floating in some of the lakes.

Anyone been out in any lakes around Dayton or Xenia?

Thanks in advance.

This is crazy:

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Due to recent heavy rain, the lake is approximately 20 feet above summer pool level • All of the boat ramps, beach area, picnic areas are closed until further notice • The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began releasing water today, which is expected to result in a 1 foot per day drop in the lake level if the weather stays dry • The lake level will continue to be monitored and areas will re-open only when it is safe to allow boats to launch at our ramps without striking submerged hazards (picnic shelters, signs, light poles, bulletin boards, drinking fountains) (posted 5/5/2011)

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/cae...0/Default.aspx

Last edited by 2Slow4me; 05-09-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Found more details
Old 05-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of them were still flooded, at least as of last week. A friend went to Brookville and said that you almost had to launch the boat from the parking lot at the dam ... you had to back down the short stretch between the parking lot and the ramp and launch on that section. The dock (still attached to the ramp) was something like 150 yds from the "shoreline". East Fork lake was 33 feet above summer pool, about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what Ceasar's Creek was like, but I'm sure it was overflowing, too.

Last edited by bob_t; 05-09-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob t called it, I heard that they may have closed brookville as well. At this time your only for sure open option would be the Ohio River. Not terribly far from Dayton and it is still a bit high but do able. The trick is to put in and stay north of the city. Reason being allot of shtuff flows in from the Licking River in KY so North of the city is usually cleaner.

I can post some ramps if you need to know

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...0,7,8,2,9,15,6
Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Any thoughts on Indian Lake Park?
Or Alum Creek or Hoover Resevoir Park?

The River is farther south, and I'm travelling from the north, so much easier to go north than south (Already have an 8 hour drive x 2)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Indian lake is only a few feet deep almost everywhere if I remember correct so they only allow small boats. The other 2 mentioned are bigger but I do not know their status as it releates to water levels
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Slow4me
Any thoughts on Indian Lake Park?
Or Alum Creek or Hoover Resevoir Park?

The River is farther south, and I'm travelling from the north, so much easier to go north than south (Already have an 8 hour drive x 2)
Hoover is a 10hp limit, so unless you have the slowest Daytona on earth, that's out.

Indian has some areas that are very shallow, and some stumps.

If you come up to Columbus area, I would do Alum Creek, plenty of water and easy access. Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

ohio river east of Cinti is your best bet. Some docks are only an hour from Dayton.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Indian Lake is not that far from dayton. 75 north. The Lake is totally cool with no speed or sound or size limits. I have never seen anything over 40' though. And it is pleanty big to run wide open for awhile.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

How about the hydrobowl? Do they allow boats on it on odd/even days still? Would be a great spot. Also called Eastwood Lake?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the input.

I'm off to Ohio for the test drive on Tuesday.

Hopefully coming home with a new toy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.