Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whipple vs. Procharger >

Whipple vs. Procharger

Notices

Whipple vs. Procharger

Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

From what I have seen so far, the whipple seems to make power at much lower RPM. Thermal efficiency is an understatement for centrifugal verse whipple. The centrifugal seems to have much lower intake temperatures.

Lysholm and vortech are the same company. Mercruiser uses Lysholm and apparently stands behind merc. Intercoolers mounted under superchargers can come apart and destroy a very expensive motor if it were to come apart. The procharger intercooler is much more accessible for inspection.

EFI is great if you have the laptop and program.
Sending the ecm's across the US and missing prime mid July weekends is not fun. ECM's do go bad.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

curiosity...why would an intercooler come apart?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
From what I have seen so far, the whipple seems to make power at much lower RPM. Thermal efficiency is an understatement for centrifugal verse whipple. The centrifugal seems to have much lower intake temperatures.

Lysholm and vortech are the same company. Mercruiser uses Lysholm and apparently stands behind merc. Intercoolers mounted under superchargers can come apart and destroy a very expensive motor if it were to come apart. The procharger intercooler is much more accessible for inspection.

EFI is great if you have the laptop and program.
Sending the ecm's across the US and missing prime mid July weekends is not fun. ECM's do go bad.
Where are you getting this information? Not one thing you mentioned is accurate.

Centrifugals thermal efficiency is better than a screw compressor? Where have you found that?

Intercoolers below the SC come apart? What intercoolers are you using? LOL We use bar-plate design which is the most heavy duty, same as Mercury Marine. You think welded together aluminum, non coated or treated IC cores are more reliable, do your homework, they are not. Not only that, they are not built for high water psi and run very little water through them from the factory, which makes them typically very low in heat transfer.

To be clear about Lysholm, thats what we used, thats what we brought to Mercury Racing, Saleen and many others only to be nearly put out of business by there poor business practices. Lysholm, a subsidary of SRM went bankrupt after losing all customers except Mercury Racing which there demand became almost nothing. Mercury Racing gets there SC's from the parent company, SRM which took over some of the tooling before the bankruptcy. Vortech has ZERO to do with Mercury Racing. Vortech started a new company, Lysholm US to the old Lysholms that were left in inventory.

As for ECM's, when the companies provide the proper cal, PCM's only need to be sent. This has been going on for 12+ years with great success. PC doesn't do a single PCM cal for the marine, that can be considered gross negligence and has caused many, many, many engine failures over time. As for down time, there is overnight service, which means if you ship a PCM on monday, you can have it back on wednesday. Not sure how many are losing days during the week.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pot of Gold
not necesarily true Chris Bobby Teague ,Tommy @Chief,Mike @ Sterling are all on top of there game but you won't find them on the boards pumping there chest .just sayin
Haxby knows his pro charger set-ups just don't under estimate
To be clear, nobody is pumping there chest. I take a few minutes when I can to answer questions and or address false statements. Accurate information is the key to making proper decisions.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add a few real world comments and observations. I have a 500 with a Vortech, and while I think it works great. I can tell you my observations of same boat whipple vs Vortech. My bud has similar 502 with whipple and I go thru AT LEAST 40% more fuel on the same run. My boat makes more power and is a couple mph faster, but not 40% more fuel worth.. We have near identical a/f tune.

It's not Über precision comparison, but I'm at the gas station with my WALLET OPEN way more often.

Some other things? My vortech is EXTREMELY noisy at idle but quiet under WOT. The whipple is silent at idle and loud under a load.

I love the loud dock presence and all that, but I find myself wearing ear plugs ALL the time. It's annoying when you can't turn it off.

Just my .02-
Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by launchpad475
I'll add a few real world comments and observations. I have a 500 with a Vortech, and while I think it works great. I can tell you my observations of same boat whipple vs Vortech. My bud has similar 502 with whipple and I go thru AT LEAST 40% more fuel on the same run. My boat makes more power and is a couple mph faster, but not 40% more fuel worth.. We have near identical a/f tune.

It's not Über precision comparison, but I'm at the gas station with my WALLET OPEN way more often.

Some other things? My vortech is EXTREMELY noisy at idle but quiet under WOT. The whipple is silent at idle and loud under a load.

I love the loud dock presence and all that, but I find myself wearing ear plugs ALL the time. It's annoying when you can't turn it off.

Just my .02-
Enjoyed reading thru this thread today. Lots of interesting info, including what has been posted in the quote above! It's probably just another added reason why I am more interested the Whipple system....especially their 5.0L version that replaces the Roots style of which I now have.

It's pretty difficult to beat the looks of the Roots so, there isn't much of an argument there as I have been reading thru this thread-----and I think with one of Whipple's replacement "bolt-on" systems that already looks much like the Roots and yet has multiple advantages over the older Roots system, then I think I'm going to be liking the Whipple stuff a little bit more for what I want to do, but hey, what do I know?...I just kill bugs for a living.

I hope everyone has a great and safe time out there. There's certainly more to life than going fast in a boat, but it sure is fun!

Last edited by KAAMA; 06-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.