Trim adjustment. >

Trim adjustment.

Notices

Trim adjustment.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim adjustment.

Well, I finally got the boat out yesterday. Was having a hard time figuring out what was going on, once on plane I could not get the bow or RPM's to come up, found out my trim up was not working, but it worked with the trailer trim button.I will have to figure out if its the switch or what since the pump is working fine. My question is whats the best way to set trim levels, in that I mean how far do you let it trim up and what is except-able? I found a Stern Jack for this boat and am going to have to re-adjust this once installed. So what is the proper procedure to adjusting this correctly?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

What drive does it have ?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

If it works with the trailer but not the trim up then it is most likely a trim limit sensor gone bad. Very hard to replace but if you pm with with your # I will help you out. OR you can put a jumper wire across the limit switch circuit. Sensor is on the out drive and hard to change . The wires you can jump are close to the power steering pump. I will have to verify color but they are the ones that have a black wire going to each.If traced they go through the back of the transom to the gimbal area. One male and one female bullet connector close to the trim pump. You just unplug the black wires and jump across the ones they came out of. You can make your own jumper using 2 inches of wire and 1 male and 1 female bullet connectors from auto parts store. Some people might tell you its a relay gone bad but if the trailer works then thats not the case.

Chris
Old 05-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

Sorry, it has a Bravo 1.

After reading I figured it was the sending unit and limit switch. Going to have my good friend who is a Merc tech help me replace both. Once done what is the proper way to adjust the physical trim on the outdrive??
Old 05-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Registered

There are specific instructions in the box for adjusting and your merc buddy can help ya with that. It is tricky replacing those units without removing the gimbal but i did one 2 days ago. Things you will need. A 7/16 in 1/4 drive socket, drive and 10-12 in extension. Also 1/4 inch drive swivel.
Procedure. Trim motor all the way down and turn steering clockwise all they way. Shove Extension without socket or swivel in between gimbal ring and out drive " Helmet " . Point down with extension and on the left side you can then snap on swivel and socket by reaching around the left side of gimbal. Then slide the extension up to the top of helmet and turn steering back to around neutral. look for the 7/16 inch bolt that goes into the transom plate. Getting it loose is easy but getting it back in is a pain.. That will let loose the plugs that are attached to the sending unit wires. It holds a sort of split washer that captures the wires .

Chris
Old 05-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Thanks, we plan on removing the drive, gives me a chance to inspect things.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered

Removing the drive will not help that much as far as replacing the senders. The Gimbal ring and helmet are what get in your way. To remove the gimbal you have to either remove the engine or do a gimbal repair modification which is a complex task.

Chris