Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Blower ignition question... >

Blower ignition question...

Notices

Blower ignition question...

Old 05-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Brad Perry

Default Blower ignition question...

I am running a merc v-6 module with msd amp box. Runs great but in trying to get the idle to surge less, someone suggested that I lock out the timing. If you look at the timing while idling, it moves all over the place as the idle surges. Since the timing comes in so early, I figure it must be amplifying the surge as well. My question is, how is the easiest way to lock out the timing in this case to try it. MSD says that the 6 series box cannot be directly connected to the hall effect sensor in the merc distributor and it seems a waste to buy an MSD distributor only to lock out the timing and use it as a pickup. I was thinking that the original module (97) used a knock module and had a base timing mode wire that would be grounded to hold the timing still for setting. If I put that module on and put it in base timing mode, I wonder if it would have no advance curve through all rpms so that I could use it to trigger the MSD box and thereby have a locked ignition system......

Old 05-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad,
I run my timing locked at 38 degrees. I know a lot of blower guys doing the same with less timing of course. Your best bet will be to get a MSD distributor. It has a real simple way of locking out the mechanical advance. It really helps the idle quality of my NA motor and will also help yours. I don't know what it will do for the blower surge, but it can't hurt. Some say it can be hard on the starter, but so far my 12 yr old stock starter is still doing just fine and thats cranking a 13.2 compression motor.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same problem. I went & put in MSD distributor & locked in ( All you do is pull gear off, turn top part & set in hole to lockout advance) I cleared up idling in gear & out. I am using total at 30 degrees