Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 raw water pump problems >

496 raw water pump problems

Notices

496 raw water pump problems

Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I toasted my impellor and my housing has lots of scratches. I installed a new impellor but cannot get the pump to flow enough water.

I'm looking to replace my pump with the Hardin SS pump. Called them but the Hardin SS pumps are backorder three weeks minimum.

Hate to not be boating for another three plus weeks!!! Anyone know where I can get Hardin SS pump?

Last edited by bcoffield; 07-10-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Default Pump

Keitheickert stocks them.

http://www.keitheickert.com/p-15774-...d-502-mag.aspx
Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by edb07
Thanks!

...they have none in stock!!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

Try, CP Performance Marine
Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by bcoffield
I toasted my impellor and my housing has lots of scratches. I installed a new impellor but cannot get the pump to flow enough water.

I'm looking to replace my pump with the Hardin SS pump. Called them but the Hardin SS pumps are backorder three weeks minimum.

Hate to not be boating for another three plus weeks!!! Anyone know where I can get Hardin SS pump?
I did find one Hardin SS pump for my port motor. It's now installed and works great. I have noticed after running the boat hard the temp spike is only a few degrees and quickly returns to 160. With the OEM pumps i was getting a larger and longer temp spike!

Now I just need to find one for the other motor!!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcoffield
I did find one Hardin SS pump for my port motor. It's now installed and works great. I have noticed after running the boat hard the temp spike is only a few degrees and quickly returns to 160. With the OEM pumps i was getting a larger and longer temp spike!

Now I just need to find one for the other motor!!
Interesting...I noticed the same spike after running hard...I have 2 Hardin units that I will install sometime....soon.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

Default better water pump repair

Originally Posted by techman
I just put in the kits from JC Marine and my historically crappy water pressure improved 100%. Pressures improved at idle and at speed. Engine temps no longer spike when coming off plane either.

Now, if there is evidence that this is a temp fix I will have to keep an eye on it. I'm just glad for the first time in many boating seasons I am starting out with good pressure on both motors.

Question for the Hardin Marine folks. Does that stainless steel replacement pump incorporate the quick drain valves of the factory unit? From the picture I don't see the dump valve?
Our pump kit has an impeller fitted to match the s.s. plate. The pump goes back into the bracket without grinding and pulley relocation. Check amarket.com/im496reb.htm
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

If your pump requires the re-use of the original rear housing how does that address the potential scoring on that side? It would seem that your pump only addresses half (roughly) of the problem of the scored pumps.

My OEM pump had scoring in the main housing and the back plate. And the shim kits cover both sides.

Am I missing something?
You need to google im496reb
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Amarket Owner
You need to google im496reb
I've bought a couple of the Aftermarket Marine rebuild kits (bearings, seals, shaft, etc) and had problems with the machined tolerance of the shafts. Everything fits and goes together nicely, but the press on the pully is too light. To resolve the problem I used an old shaft on one pump and welded the pulley onto the other (it is now disposable). Have you remedied this problem?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Registered

Default Pump repair

if your pump requires the re-use of the original rear housing how does that address the potential scoring on that side? It would seem that your pump only addresses half (roughly) of the problem of the scored pumps.

My oem pump had scoring in the main housing and the back plate. And the shim kits cover both sides.

Am i missing something?
google im496reb and see cure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.