Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
loaner tools >

loaner tools

Notices

loaner tools

Old 05-30-2002, 01:55 PM
patrick22309

Default loaner tools

Just went to the local BoatUS store and got a new gimble bearing and the guy told me how to make a puller out of thread stock and chain which should work fine. Then, he loaned me the installation tools which is just the engine alignment tool. I don't know for sure but I don't think you shuold drive the bearing using the allignment tool should you?

Old 05-30-2002, 02:17 PM
MKast

The alignment tool is not an installer. Do you have access to a maintenance manual? You might consider getting one to save yourself alot of time and money.

Old 05-30-2002, 02:37 PM
patrick22309

Default Clymar Manual

Yes, I have the I thinks its Clymar manual and remember reading and seeing a different tools shown in there pics last night. I am going to review very well before I make any moves.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The puller tool is a 3 jaw gear puller. The driver tool is a special cupped driver head that puts the force of the driving on the bearing carrier (outside ring) not on the bearing race itself. I had to freeze the gimble bearing assy in the freezer in order to get it to fit. On my drives it was a real job getting the out and back in even with the reccomended tools from merc. Some people use the alignment tool to just start the gimble bearing in the race to get the proper starting alignment. Then use the driver to finish the job. Also make sure to align the grease hole at about 4 o clock with the hole in the housing.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:03 AM
patrick22309

Talking Homemade Gimble Bearing tools

Never seen anything so easy and it cost less than $20. I made a puller for $4 using thread stock, short chain welded to end with short screw through other end link. Used my valve spring compressor accross housing as a puller base and tighted down on the threads. Bearing pulled out very easy. Made a driver that fix exactly over the race using half of a 2 1/2" pipe coupler and a piece of 2" pipe with a 2" cap. Anyone know how much $$$ I saved?