cyl - exh - int
1 - .023 - .023
8 - .022 - .023
4 - .023 - .024
3 - .026 - .025
5 - .025 - .024
7 - .023 - .025
2 - .024 - .024

So looks like its a solid roller and I have some serious valve issues. Since they are closing all the way and have a high leak rate maybe I can just get a valve job. I looked in some cylinders to look at the valve edge and they didn't look bad. I think they are inconel so would the head valve seats be most likely the problem?

Still don't understand the fouling on #1 yet.
is the boat loading up at idle? you may just hacew some carbon on the valve seats..get the motor hot and then so a leak down and check the valve lash..
Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the results of a hot leak down

cyl - %
1 - 5
8 - 11.25
4 - 23.75
3 - 10
6 - 32.5
5 - 11.25
7 - 15
2 - 26.25

I didn't get time to pull covers and check lash. Most numbers improved but still bad. Why would 2-4-6 be so bad? I know on 4 I hear most in exhaust, 6 exhaust as well and 2 is intake and some exhaust. I am running imco powerflow manifolds. Is it possible they have a water leak?

I also replaced #1 spark plug and it looks pretty wet. At 1500 I here a slight pop. Is there something in the ignition that would cause a problem? I already replaced everything and cleaned end of trigger wheel in distributor.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Well I found the fouling problem along with plenty of others. The intake gasket was leaking oil into the #1 intake.

The blower was leaking at the intercooler and the intercooler leaking at the intake were just some other issues.

Now another is that the last shop to refresh this engine before I bought it put solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam. WTF is that about. They changed timing gear set and pushrods but left the original cam. The cam is the crane 139741.

So now what, what cam do you guys recommend for a 509-540, with superchiller and mega 420, dart big m block, merlin iron heads, crane gold roller rockers. I was looking at the stage 4 from teague but that is a hyd as well or the blower cam (300br-14) from comp cams. They are real close in specs. looking to possibly get max of 7k rpm just not sure of the blower going that fast. I know Airpacker here has a similar setup and a few others.

I would also like to stay with the solid setup unless there is a really good reason to change back to hyd. Its cheaper for a cam then new lifters.
The problems never end and July 4 is not promising anymore.

Last edited by DirtyJohnson; 06-09-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DirtyJohnson
Well I found the fouling problem along with plenty of others. The intake gasket was leaking oil into the #1 intake.

The blower was leaking at the intercooler and the intercooler leaking at the intake were just some other issues.

Now another is that the last shop to refresh this engine before I bought it put solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam. WTF is that about. They changed timing gear set and pushrods but left the original cam. The cam is the crane 139741.

So now what, what cam do you guys recommend for a 509-540, with superchiller and mega 420, dart big m block, merlin iron heads, crane gold roller rockers. I was looking at the stage 4 from teague but that is a hyd as well or the blower cam (300br-14) from comp cams. They are real close in specs. looking to possibly get max of 7k rpm just not sure of the blower going that fast. I know Airpacker here has a similar setup and a few others.

I would also like to stay with the solid setup unless there is a really good reason to change back to hyd. Its cheaper for a cam then new lifters.
The word camshaft actually translates to Bob Madara. Give him a call, especially if you want 7 grand. He will build it for your engine. Not sure if he can have it back to you before July 4th, but at least give him a call. He just did the whole top end for my new 540.

585-654-8583
Old 06-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DirtyJohnson

When I had a plug like that and had to run the anti fouling fitting it was a crack in the intake runner sucking oil from the valley. Similar deal here it sounds. Is there a reason why you say you cannot run a hydr roller lifter on a solid cam? Depending on the cam ramps I think it would be fine that way.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. I just talked to Bob Madara and he needs a bunch more info but I think I will have him do a custom grind after talking to him. He is concerned the lifters are damaged from the setup with excessive lash. I may send the lifters back to comp cam to have them inspected but no sure yet.

Blue thunder, it is the other way around, solid roller lifters on hydraulic cam. Bob said this was a trick back in the day and I have read about it but just seems stupid. In my case the lash was set wrong for that setup and that may be why my valves are leaking now. They got the sh*t beat out of them. I will look for cracks in the intake but it did look like the gasket was leaking. It was full of oil and I did find the bolts a little loose on the intake.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

It sounds like you are on the right track DJ. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Registered

Well I need to revive an old thread of mine because I still have the problem and thought this would be better then starting a new one.

Last year when I worked on this and thought replacing the intake gasket would fix the oil getting into #1 cylinder I was wrong. It didn't even last one trip and the plug fouled. I am getting ready to pull the motor and get heads rebuilt for leaking valves and need to address this issue as well. I am not sure what will fix this. Should I try a thicker intake gasket? I can't imagine black rtv on the intake.

Here are some pics showing oil at #1 cylinder and the alignment of the intake runners
Attached Thumbnails #1 cylinder problems-img_0308r.jpg   #1 cylinder problems-img_5041r.jpg   #1 cylinder problems-img_5044r.jpg  

Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Registered

How much clearance is there on the front and rear of the intake to the block? You are using silicone in those locations right and not the gaskets that come in an intake gasket set?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

yes the black silicone, it probably squishes to 1/8 to 3/16. I will measure when I pull it off this next time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.