Notices

fuel ?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel ?

Tried to start my boat after sitting for 3 months turns over and have spark. So I pulled the supply hose on the fuel filter had my brother turn the key. Felt no suction when putting my finger over the hole. I would think I would feel suction . What do you guys think. The gas in the filter looked brown like ice tea.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

What does the fuel smell like? Bad fuel or fuel that is going bad has an unmistakable smell. Fuel should not go bad in just three months but it should not be brown either. Get some Ether quick start fluid (most marine shops should have this) and spray some into the flame arrester. Turn the key and the engine should start up breifly. This way you know for sure that you have a fuel issue.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered

Ok hit it with ether and it started for a few seconds what do you think I should try next
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

check the fuse to your fuel pump, if its electric. change your fuel filter and check your fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge
Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered

Get a fuel jug and fill it at the gas station. If you have a fuel filter/water seperator dump the fuel out of it and replace with fresh fuel, put it back on, if you do not have a fuel filter/water seperator I highly recommend that you install one.

If this is a carb engine pull the fuel line from the carb, put the end in another jug or can and turn the ignition on. If you have an electric pump it should be flowing fuel, if manual pump then crank the engine over to see if you have fuel flow to the carb. If no fuel flow then get a couple foot length of fuel hose, pull the supply line from the fuel pump and attach the new hose to it, now put the other end in a fuel jug (with gas in it) and crank it over again. If you now have fuel flow you need to replace the supply line from the fuel tank to the fuel pump, if still no fuel flow replace or rebuild the manual pump.

If the engine is injected locate the electric fuel pump then just turn the ignition on and listen for the hum of the pump or put your hand on it you should feel the vibration of the pump motor. If nothing then as mentioned check the fuse, get a test light or multi meter and check that you have power to the pump, got power but the pump is not running then check the ground, if the ground is good then replace the pump.

If you have fuel flow, a carb engine and it still will not start you may need to rebuild the carb or you may have bad fuel.

With an injected motor you may be able to pull the fuel lines where they connect to the fuel rails and check for flow, this will depend on your set up, would be a good thing to do if possible because if the pump is running but just spitting fuel or a weak fuel stream then the pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced or you may have a bad supply line from the tank. Injected motors need a certain amount of fuel pressure to even start.