Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trying to standardize fluids between multiple boats (Volvo & Merc) >

Trying to standardize fluids between multiple boats (Volvo & Merc)

Notices

Trying to standardize fluids between multiple boats (Volvo & Merc)

Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trying to standardize fluids between multiple boats (Volvo & Merc)

I own a boat rental biz and have two boats with 4.3 Merc / Alpha 1's, a 6.2 Merc with a Bravo 3, and a 5.7 Volvo with an SX drive.

I change all their fluids once a season minimum. (Drives done monthly since I figure its cheap insurance.)

I'd like to pick one engine oil and one drive oil to use on everything to make my life and the life of my employees easier. I've been tempted to run all Amsoil marine products since I have a local distributor that saves me on freight but then I hear conflicting stories on whether its as good as Merc products. So then I'm tempted to go all Merc products but then I hear that I shouldn't use them in Volvos.

The nature of these being rentals I have to assume they will be driven hard and might have water incursion in the drives in between services so I'm willing to pay a little extra if that's what it takes. Full synthetic all around is a must.

Thoughts??
Old 06-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink Just an opinion is all.

You will be fine if you run the Merc HP gear lube in the volvo drive SX drive, You will not have any any problems doing so. Most boat service shops do it already.

Merc HP is good stuff, So is the Amsoil marine products They are about neck to neck in quality, But Amsoil could now be just slightly ahead with the lead with Newer/better technology they have nowadays. You would be fine to run Amsoil in the SX drive as well. Once you pick one oil stick with it is the best thing you can do though for both engines and drives systems.

It would be mostly about ease of availability to you and of course cost. I'm thinking it sounds like to me Amsoil is probably going to be the winner here as far as ease of availability goes.

For the engines you should think about using either straight 30w or 40w oil depending on air temperature in your area. I myself would go with Amsoil for the engines, But it could go either way for the drives.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice!

Couple questions. It looks like the Amsoil Marine oil only comes in 10w-30 and 10w-40. I'd prefer to stick with the marine grade stuff due to the marine specific additives. We only see about 10 weeks of summer around here mostly in the 80's so I'm thinking the 10w-30 should be fine. I know teh manual for my Volvo calls for straight 30w but I'm not sure if I should use the "car grade" Amsoil.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would run royal purple in the drives and rotella 15w40 in the engines