new 502 engine. >

new 502 engine.

Notices

new 502 engine.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've purchased four crate engines form a "dealer in Mass" this year, 3 big blocks were dated 2011. There isn't a ton of stock on the 502 marine crates right now so they probably had to find one somewhere else. I can understand how you'd feel at first glance finding it's an '06 but as others have stated it's really not a big deal. The only downside for some is that it probably doesn't have a mechanical fuel pump boss like the new ones do. Other then that the materials and technology have not changed so there is no difference in value to a new one. The Merc package you referenced that is a few years old has older technology, programming, calibration, external parts, etc.

For all the valve spring guys.. Do you know how much the valve spring on a 502 is compressed with that tiny cam and a lifter that has its plunger fully depressed?..
Bob Teague also says that synthetic oil is too slippery..
I have witnessed and tested with my Rimac the same results as cubicinches. Although not for as many years and as many engines..
Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I've purchased four crate engines form a "dealer in Mass" this year, 3 big blocks were dated 2011. There isn't a ton of stock on the 502 marine crates right now so they probably had to find one somewhere else. I can understand how you'd feel at first glance finding it's an '06 but as others have stated it's really not a big deal. The only downside for some is that it probably doesn't have a mechanical fuel pump boss like the new ones do. Other then that the materials and technology have not changed so there is no difference in value to a new one. The Merc package you referenced that is a few years old has older technology, programming, calibration, external parts, etc.

For all the valve spring guys.. Do you know how much the valve spring on a 502 is compressed with that tiny cam and a lifter that has its plunger fully depressed?..
Bob Teague also says that synthetic oil is too slippery..
I have witnessed and tested with my Rimac the same results as cubicinches. Although not for as many years and as many engines..
That Bob teague thing about oil being too slippery for roller cams came to mind when I was reading this too, I do agree that a valve spring can lose some seat pressure from sitting in the open position for too long but knowing how low the valve lift on a 502 crate engine is too I would not worry about it. I used to crank my motor over once a month in the winter but I quit doing it because I think its harder on my motor to keep cranking it in the cold (wash down) than just leaving it alone, yeah I could disable the fuel pump but it hasn't made any difference with my .610 lift cam I am running. Now, if I had a 1400 hp all out race engine with a .800 plus roller cam, I WOULD be backing the rockers off it was going to sit too long, Smitty
Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

What causes a valve spring to weaken is fatigue from reapeated cycling over and over again from heat and compressing, not sitting in one position.

Building a street engine for a GTO does not make a person an expert in metallurgy.

Put the engine in and run it
Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered

:cuqui:
Originally Posted by rexcramer1
What causes a valve spring to weaken is fatigue from reapeated cycling over and over again from heat and compressing, not sitting in one position.

Building a street engine for a GTO does not make a person an expert in metallurgy.

Put the engine in and run it
If you could comprehend (that means understand) my previous posts...I said that there were other factors involved in spring fatigue. My whole point to this was that if he did find a "new" motor from '06...that I would be suspicious, and look very closely at all the internals on a motor thats been sitting in a warehouse for 5 years.

And no where did I state I was a metallurgist...lol. I happen to be a skilled trades tool & die welder at GM...so I have a LITTLE experience with tool steels. Thanks for your input tho. p:

Last edited by tinman565; 06-06-2011 at 07:38 AM.