Latham Steering >

Latham Steering

Notices

Latham Steering

Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latham Steering

I have two 496's and Im putting them in a boat set up with Lathum steering. Its only set up for one pump what do you do with the other pump? Can't just run the other pump in a loop without something to reduce presure before it goes into the cooler. The cooler just had slip on fittings (stock) wont they just blow off? Do they make a pressure reducer inline or something?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

They have a fitting for the 2nd pump and lines. It goes to a large resavoir. Call Latham they will get you what you need.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic are the lines on the ram a -6 AN fitting? I need 2 new lines that's why I ask
Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Registered

Both motors have pumps I'm just wanting to loop one pump back into its self. I think alot of boats come like this. My buddy had a BAJA with twin 496 ho's that was set up from the factory were one pump was looped and not hooked into the steering. Does anyone have a baja like this?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Baja just has the hoses connected together after the cooler so that the PS fluid is still cooled, even though it's not connected.

The Fountain is setup so that both pumps are being used thru a propietary valve. (I think that's what it's called) Have PS if either motor dies, unlike the Baja where the motor with the active PS is usually the one that dies when you are docking.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

One the pump that loops back into the cooler. The hose coming out of the pump is high pressure so it does it go into the cooler? I was just wondering because thats the only way I could figure it would work but the coolers just have barbed hose fittings for a hose clamp.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Registered

Do you have full hydro or hydro-assist? It makes a difference on how things can be plumbed.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Do you have full hydro or hydro-assist? It makes a difference on how things can be plumbed.
Its external steering but whats different when you have only one pump? I dont understand how that could matter?