So how do you think this 496 will run?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by formula242-502
4bus,
I like the friendly way you put things.

Just got off the boat actually.
It plaines out ok, sounds like a pro stock at idle.
Seemed lazy in the midrange to me and was breaking up some at 4700 so far.
I hope it's not breaking up from going lean! I figured it would be pretty lazy in the midrange with those heads / cam.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat1
Let me start by saying I shouldn't say what I'm about to say, are we clear!! Since your friend has no interest in listening to an expert he clearly is smarter than everyone. If he was spinning a mag motor 5800 WOT he was making noise not power, that cam can't support it. A hydraulic roller combo should not turn above 5400 or you risk valve float. The cam he suggests is not large enough for 5800 rpm and needs to be mechanical roller anyway for that rpm. I think what he really wants is a boat he can talk about. He should put a large duration camshaft with a 108 LSA so he has the most knarly idle in the marina, spend his money on a really cool sticker to put on the engine that says 600 HP or heck even more if he wants. The boat will likely barely come on plane and run terrible but it will sound really cool and show great when it is broke down. I'm sure he doesn't need a 3X18 oil cooler, or a quality oil pump, or upgraded fuel system either but it's a suggestion. Let me know when the maiden voyage is, I'd like to bring a cooler and a chair to watch it get on plane. Good Luck.
And the winner is.....Boat1

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...d-496-cam.html

Sorry to hear that your friend put a lot of time and effort into this and might not be happy with his results. You were not getting negative comments in your first thread, you were just getting honest opinions from members that have been there and done that. I hope some how he can get this to run without much more hassle, but the history of the components that are in there tell us different. This is going to be a broad torque engine with HP in high RPM range. Did he even Dyno it?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I shouldn't have said negative, was just looking to get ideas of what it would do not that it just wouldn't work. I had a good idea it wasn't a good setup, just hoping it stays together for him. Too much $$$$$ to keep rebuilding, and summer is too short.
Built off a desktop dyno. No real life dyno
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it made it through this weekend ok. He didn't use it
You guys were right so far, so we'll see.
It sounds really good at idle, that's for sure.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by formula242-502
Well it made it through this weekend ok. He didn't use it
You guys were right so far, so we'll see.
It sounds really good at idle, that's for sure.
Make sure you keep a video camera with you so you can post footage on You-tube when it grenades.