2009 700SCI low oil pressure warning

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50 hours on engine.What to check out before tear down?Oil level,senders good.@ Sea trial 3,000 RPM warning light comes on. Any suggestions?Thanks guys
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Possibly look at oil filter.. long shot but try and replace. How old is the filter that is installed now? I have had 3 in 10 years that have come into my shop on stock merc motors that started to internally collapse causing low pressure....
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Good suggestion. I've had same issues with Cummins 15 liter engines in customers Kenworth's. After 20,000 miles in a new tractor and lot's of diagnose time, the supplier of oil filters to Cummins had a bad run and service bullentins established. 2009 engine filters.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which warning light? Is Smart Craft telling you low oil, or the analog gauge? Check smart craft screen for real time information on oil pressure. What is your oil pressure when the light comes on? If you go to the limits page in Smart Craft their are user adjustable limits for low/high oil pressure, maybe somone changed them.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Red face

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
Possibly look at oil filter.. long shot but try and replace. How old is the filter that is installed now? I have had 3 in 10 years that have come into my shop on stock merc motors that started to internally collapse causing low pressure....
Thanks; Don't know age of filter.We will redo sea trial again with new filter,oil,and a mechanical gauge teed into the sender.The red lights come on when the oil pressure drops below 40 pounds @ 3,000 rpm. coming on plane. Smartcraft registers low pressure warning also. Smartcraft recorded first low oil pressure event @ 38 hours. Mechanic mentioned he had a prior episode of a Merc filter that collapsed internally. Will let you know what happens after next sea trial. I appreciate the consensus.Thanks again
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Red face 700 SCI low oil presssure

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
Thanks; Don't know age of filter.We will redo sea trial again with new filter,oil,and a mechanical gauge teed into the sender.The red lights come on when the oil pressure drops below 40 pounds @ 3,000 rpm. coming on plane. Smartcraft registers low pressure warning also. Smartcraft recorded first low oil pressure event @ 38 hours. Mechanic mentioned he had a prior episode of a Merc filter that collapsed internally. Will let you know what happens after next sea trial. I appreciate the consensus.Thanks again
Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Red face

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Which warning light? Is Smart Craft telling you low oil, or the analog gauge? Check smart craft screen for real time information on oil pressure. What is your oil pressure when the light comes on? If you go to the limits page in Smart Craft their are user adjustable limits for low/high oil pressure, maybe somone changed them.
Thanks Beak Boater; The oil red lights and Smartcraft both come on@ 3000 rpm when the oil pressure drops below 40 pounds and when coming up on plane. We did not know about changing the settings on Smartcraft. By the way, the other engine reads 60 pounds@ the same time(coming up on plane). Smartcraft seems really helpful.Thanks again will let you know what happens next sea trial w/new oil,filter,and teed mechanical gauge.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Red face

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Good suggestion. I've had same issues with Cummins 15 liter engines in customers Kenworth's. After 20,000 miles in a new tractor and lot's of diagnose time, the supplier of oil filters to Cummins had a bad run and service bullentins established. 2009 engine filters.
Thanks Downtown; Merc filter will be replaced along w/teed mechanical gauge.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

I had a bad merc filter on my 600sci. The motor was just serviced and when tested on the hose was fine. Everytime I tried to launch because of the angle I had very little oil pressure. The merc filter was bad and the round check valve piece was loose and trapped in such a way that when my boat was angled it had no pressure. It acted like a flapper valve. It was intermittent. 70.00 filter and no good? Replace the filter and good to go.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Smile

Originally Posted by relaxalot
I had a bad merc filter on my 600sci. The motor was just serviced and when tested on the hose was fine. Everytime I tried to launch because of the angle I had very little oil pressure. The merc filter was bad and the round check valve piece was loose and trapped in such a way that when my boat was angled it had no pressure. It acted like a flapper valve. It was intermittent. 70.00 filter and no good? Replace the filter and good to go.
Thanks Relaxalot; I hope you U R right.Supposed to try out the new filter today( along w/ a teed mechanical gauge)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.