Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil temp sender location...

Where should it be located before or after the oil cooler? Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance View Post
I put them either in the oil filter housing (after the cooler) or in the block only if they are in the flow of oil. You do not want to put them in a dead end passage that is not directly in the flow of oil. It will not read correctly.
By putting it in the pan, you take the cooler out of the equation. Lets say the oil is 250* in the pan. If you have a larger cooler than the oil going into the engine may be 200*. If you have a smaller cooler, than it may be 230*. I want to know what the oil temp is that the engine is seeing, not what it is after it has made it way through the bearings and been beat up by the crank.
In a Gen VI block, a good place to put it is just above the stock oil filter pad. In the aftermarket blocks, I put it in the filter housing.
Eddie

After the cooler so you know the temp of the oil that is being delivered to the crank. Also to see if your cooler is doing an adequate job.
There is a little debate on this. I have mine before the cooler but I do not see anything above 230. (which goes against what I just stated)
The best case scenario is to have both. Using the same gauge and 2 senders with a toggle switch.

Last edited by Rookie; 06-21-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Quote Young Performance
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Most i've seen are mounted at the oil filter housing. That would be pre cooler. Some run pre and post
Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered

run mine in the oil filter mount before cooler...
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will see a lot of discussion on this if you do a search, and this subject has been tossed back and forth ad nauseum. Some say to put it in the pan, some say after the cooler, some say in the remote oil filter adapter. I have mine in the pan, as I think that will give me a worst-case scenario of how hot it is getting. It will also tell me if the oil is not getting hot enough to boil off the moisture and contaminants. I like the idea of the toggle switch to see it both ways, but once you have your oil cooling system set up and dialed in, all you are really doing with the gauge is monitoring for temperature fluctuations.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

Absolutely put the sending unit in the pan if you only have one. The whole point of monitoring your fluid temperatures is to avoid an engine melt down. If you are overheating your oil, you will see the temperature spike in the oil only before it's cooled. Putting the sensor in the oil stream after it is cooled is great if you are trying to dial in the size of cooler you need. Other than that, putting the sensor downstream of the cooler isn't going to give you the critical information.