fuel pump not getting power on '97 454 MPI

Notices

fuel pump not getting power on '97 454 MPI

Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump not getting power on '97 454 MPI

Hello,

I have a '97 25' Advantage Citation that has been running flawless for years. In 2008 my fuel pump got gummed up and replaced. This season my engine cut off one weekend in the middle of the lake. Got a tow and back home my mechanic looked over the it to find the ground wire almost completely corroded off the fuel pump. He repaired it and left a small indicator light wired up in parallel to the pump for troubleshooting. Also he "hot wired the pump from another power source than the normal source"(do not know where the power source is coming from... and the next weekend it ran great. However the problem now is after running for a while and turning the engine off of it will not restart. The indicator light is not coming on so no power going to the fuel pump. Back to the shop and he found a loose connection on the big round plug that has power coming into the engine. Today back out on the lake and the same story again. I'm suspecting something temperature related. After 30 minutes with the engine hatch open it finally started again. On the way the engine cut off twice but was able to restart it immediately and continue until we finally limped in at the boat ramp. When the fuel pump is not turning on and I try to start the engine it will start for a second so I know the ignition is working. Does anyone have any idea's?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

you found some bad spots in wiring, i would say you need to look for more of them. when you turn on the key can you here the pump
Old 07-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered

No power is coming to the pump and the pump is not running. Will look again. I'm trying to figure out where the power for the pump is coming from. I just hope it is not the CPU...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Normally, the fuel pump gets it's power from one of the relay's near the ecm. One of the square relay's powers the ecm and the other powers the fuel pump. The ecm triggers the relay to open and power the pump. When you turn the key on, the pump should run for 3 seconds. It will then turn off and start up again when you start cranking over the engine.
Eddie