Raylar "CoolGap" intake manifold

Notices

Raylar "CoolGap" intake manifold

Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raylar "CoolGap" intake manifold

Anyone tested this intake manifold on an air bench. I would be interested in the flow numbers if anyone has.

http://www.raylarengine.com/kits.html
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Rage:

Doubt anyone has airflow bench tested our CoolGap intake besides Raylar. Yes we have and I can tell you it flows way more air than a stock 496 intake, that's why we build and sell it.
I thought you already had one of our intakes? Why don't you test that one??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes I do have one. I want the intake flow numbers to use in Dyno simulation software. I would rather get the numbers from someone that already has them than take the intake off the engine and pay to get it tested.

Originally Posted by Raylar
Rage:

Doubt anyone has airflow bench tested our CoolGap intake besides Raylar. Yes we have and I can tell you it flows way more air than a stock 496 intake, that's why we build and sell it.
I thought you already had one of our intakes? Why don't you test that one??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Registered

Wink Over Engineering?

Rage:

Your asking for our proprietary engineering information and I am not going to publish that on a forum for the whole un-knowledgable world of lurkers to gawk at. I can tell you that our HO600 engine at 508 cubic inches with our heads, HO600 camshaft and our HO600 intake with the big 90mm throttle body will flow about 1150cfm at 5500 rpms to make the 650 HP it makes regularly on quite a few dynos. Since you do not have our high flow Raylar heads, our HO600 camshaft and our big 90mm throttle body equipped manifold you would not probably see those flows or cfm numbers in your Raylar installed intake.
Also my opinion of dyno simulation software that most general novice engine builders have available and use is that it's really almost worthless when trying to engineer horsepower that a marine engine will produce at various build levels. It's pretty much a WAGMAR toy (Wild Ass Guess Made At Random)
Question:
Why don't you just send us your HP3 special build 496 engine and let us turn it into a Raylar HO 600-650HP engine so you can stop driving yourself crazy tinkering with your engine and just enjoy using the boat and streaking around on the water??
If you put your time spent at $100 an hour worth up to this point you would probably already have paid for two of our HO600's.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why do I do it? Because it is fun.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Since when are CFM flow numbers proprietary information? I would think that a 3D laser image of the port job would be proprietary, but anyone can flow an intake.

I figured you would take the opposite approach and provide some phenomenal flow numbers, against stock and use it as a sales tactic. I was also interested in seeing how your intake would perform on a standardized test against a stock intake.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
Since when are CFM flow numbers proprietary information? I would think that a 3D laser image of the port job would be proprietary, but anyone can flow an intake.

I figured you would take the opposite approach and provide some phenomenal flow numbers, against stock and use it as a sales tactic. I was also interested in seeing how your intake would perform on a standardized test against a stock intake.
because , on their own, those numbers are essentially meaningless. only in proper combination ( as ray points out) do the components do their job as they should. a manifold that flows giant numbers is not the right manifold for a cylinderhead/cam that don't. flow velocity is the key. flow rates thru the system need to be such that the velocity remains high to make the power . ray knows this and ( by my observation) doesn't engage in the " mine is bigger than yours " exercise. he knows there is no individual magic component.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Im sure that Ray knows what he is doing..... just like many other engine builders that perform this work on a daily basis.

Steve, I believe you got a bit off topic. My comment was that CFM numbers are not proprietary. The work that does into making the incredible CFM numbers is proprietary, and not easily duplicated.

Obviously you want all of your components to match up properly, if you want a high performance, efficient engine.
Comparing a Raylar CoolGap intake to a stock intake is not really a mine is bigger than yours... Simply, it would be nice to see stock VS the CoolGap intake, plotted on a 2D CFM chart.

Im not planning on buying one, but I am fascinated with the capabilities of expert machinists who can manipulate mild engines into making big numbers.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Wink How to survive in the Marine Performance Engine Business ?

Rage:
I totally understand your idea of "FUN" but that's something you will have to equip and put together for yourself.
As for Raylar, we are always busy doing what we do best and I try not to work more than 60 - 80 hours per week!
As for showing others in the industry how to design and build a "GREAT" EFI intake manifold " You must be Crazy!! or you must think I'm stupid!"
Raylar spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours developing our special intake manifolds, heads, cams, pistons, and other great 8.1L-496 engine parts and we are not going to destroy that investment and time by showing everybody in the performance boating community how to do it for FREE!!

Wonder how many of these individuals would be at our FUNERAL, when we closed our doors!! HA!

I can honestly say to everyone that I have paid in more ways than one for my engine knowledge, experience and developments. If anyone else in interested in doing so"GET OUT the Checkbook and Allow Plenty of Time!!" You'll need it!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
Im sure that Ray knows what he is doing..... just like many other engine builders that perform this work on a daily basis.

Steve, I believe you got a bit off topic. My comment was that CFM numbers are not proprietary. The work that does into making the incredible CFM numbers is proprietary, and not easily duplicated.

Obviously you want all of your components to match up properly, if you want a high performance, efficient engine.
Comparing a Raylar CoolGap intake to a stock intake is not really a mine is bigger than yours... Simply, it would be nice to see stock VS the CoolGap intake, plotted on a 2D CFM chart.

Im not planning on buying one, but I am fascinated with the capabilities of expert machinists who can manipulate mild engines into making big numbers.
that's why they get the big money

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.