500 EFI Fuel line to 502 MPI Cool Fuel Box

Notices

500 EFI Fuel line to 502 MPI Cool Fuel Box

Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 500 EFI Fuel line to 502 MPI Cool Fuel Box

I'm converting my 502 MPI's to 500 EFI's. I have 500 EFI intakes and plenums. The fitting on the end of my 502 fuel line won't mate up to the fitting that attaches to the fuel rail. If I buy the 500 EFI fuel line, the other end that goes into the cool fuel box looks different. Is there another line or coversion kit I can buy?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just dump all the stock fuel system for aftermarket. Pump, lines, regulator, cooler.
I am unaware of any conversion between the two, however it shouldn't be too difficult to find the required fittings at a hydraulic components shop. Take part "A" & part "B" to them and say make this work. Or just do what I mentioned 1st and save yourself the hassle.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bn
I'm converting my 502 MPI's to 500 EFI's. I have 500 EFI intakes and plenums. The fitting on the end of my 502 fuel line won't mate up to the fitting that attaches to the fuel rail. If I buy the 500 EFI fuel line, the other end that goes into the cool fuel box looks different. Is there another line or coversion kit I can buy?
you take the fitting from each component, cut the hose end off leaving a stub that you then braze each into a -6 fitting and then use a conventional -6 line made by anyone anywhere. i say braze because on mine the ends were furnace brazed together so no tig welding... but yours may be different. it's a piece of cake.

i will say this... the most effective thing i did do was create the accumulator system where i used an low press/hi volume ( carter) pump to lift the fuel out of the tank into a two quart al accumulator that then had a return to the tank and a gravity feed to the cool fuel. i also ran the CF return back to the tank vs the filter . i did this because it was , to me, the obvious correct way to do it but then read about a million posts about cool fuel issues... none of which i ever had.. the stock hardware is fine and if yours is serviceable then use it and you will be fine.

Last edited by stevesxm; 07-13-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered

I just did the same thing, i used the fuel line off a 500efi cool fuel setup and the fuel pump end plugged directly into my 502mpi cool fuel setup no problem. The line is longer because the cool fuel is mounted on the front of the block on a 500efi so youll just have some extra slack. I know where you can buy the entire cool fuel setup off a 500efi with the other 2 lines, pump and the line you need very slightly used for probably $200. This is how I got mine and I thnk he has another one. My fuel pump had over 400 hours so it was worth it to me. I think the fuel line from merc is over $100 alone. PM me if youre interested.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
bn
Registered

I will try having someone adapt it for me. The first place I went to did not want to modify it. Here are pics of the 500 EFI fitting and my 502 hose.
Attached Thumbnails 500 EFI Fuel line to 502 MPI Cool Fuel Box-img00113.jpg   500 EFI Fuel line to 502 MPI Cool Fuel Box-img00116.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
bn
Registered

dagah2x I wouldn't mind buying the 500 EFI setup, but I need 2 sets. Are 2 available?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bn
dagah2x I wouldn't mind buying the 500 EFI setup, but I need 2 sets. Are 2 available?
No hes only got one left, i bought the second one for mine. Its all take off stuff from a whiple upgrade.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bn
I will try having someone adapt it for me. The first place I went to did not want to modify it. Here are pics of the 500 EFI fitting and my 502 hose.
I had 2 people tell me they couldnt make that line work so I ended up getting the new hose, im sure it can be done I probably asked the wrong 2 people.

Theres actually a fuel filter and a short u shaped hard line that goinbetween the fuel rail and the hose. From my memory the 500efi fuel line wont screw directly into the fuel rail you need to get the other prebent metal line and filter.

check out this link http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...+And+Injectors

Last edited by dagah2x; 07-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.