Bennet Trim Tab hose blow out... ? >

Bennet Trim Tab hose blow out... ?

Notices

Bennet Trim Tab hose blow out... ?

Old 06-04-2002, 10:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Bennet Trim Tab hose blow out... ?

The Potomac River was REALLY rough and sloppy on Sunday. I had my tabs at neutral, but came down really hard and all of a sudden my port side Bennet indicator was all the way up. I was really afraid that it had been been ripped off, but luckily, there is no damge to the tab or transom. After I high-tailed it to Mattawoman Creek to get out of the rough, and check the damage, I opened the engine hatch to reveal a completely pink splattered port side; ala ATF. The ferrel for the compression fitting on the front of the Bennet pump could not hold the pressure of the wave slapping the trim tab up, and blew out. BIG F-ING MESS!!!! I was able to fix the problem by reinserting the compression fitting, and even had enough fluid in the reservoir to continue the day.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to keep this from happening again? (Aside from installing K-planes; thank you peanut gallery.) I have not contacted Bennet yet, as I have not yet had time; but do they have any better ferrels or options? Bennet is a really stand up company, but I want to know if this happens a lot, or if this is a fluke. Given this, and my handy-dandy-no-leak trim-pump cap for the drive, (which leaks like a SOB), I may just give up on a clean bilge floor.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, lets try reassembling all the fittings with High strength loctite. On the ferrel, hose and compression nut.

Or get some k-planes!!

Eric
Old 06-04-2002, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey bryan sounds like you might have just had a fluke. my bennetts have taken a beating and never sprung a leak. sounds like you have a heck of a time with keeping that bilge clean. at least you didnt do an air shot and speckle paint this time or did you Rob