fuel tank return line >

fuel tank return line

Notices

fuel tank return line

Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fuel tank return line

needed a #8 fitting in fuel tank for my return, was told to drill & tap the sending unit, which I did, but not enough room between edge of tank anr elec part of sender, could get fitting in sender but hits tank, it's #8 w/3/8NPT on tank side..what have anybody else done for a setup like this ? thanks Rob
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I make a setup similar to a sending unit. I use about a 2" hole saw and cut it out of a sheet of 1/8" aluminum. It will have a pilot hole in the center of the circle you just cut out. I open that hole up to the size of a #6 (#8 in your case) bulkhead fitting. I actually use a bulkhead fitting designed for fuel cells. It is a high flow fitting with teflon washers to seal it. I install that fitting in the center of my round plate. Drill 4 mounting holes around it. I then drill about a 1" hole in the tank (it's just larger than the OD of the bulkhead fitting) Then, using some self tapping SS screws, you mount it to the tank. I use a little piece of rubber and make a gasket. Works great.
It's hard to put into print exactly how I did it. I'm not sure if I explained it well enough. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call. Good luck.
Eddie

Last edited by Young Performance; 07-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

Here is a pic. It's not very good, but it should help convey what I'm trying to say.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails fuel tank return line-dsc01933-large-.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

thanks Eddie, understand perfectly !! just not sure about drilling in the tank !!! Rob
Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut your rubber tank fill hose, install a sleeve from steel or aluminum, weld your fitting in with a slight downward (toward tank) angle. Hose clamp sleeve back in and your done. Eddie's idea is more professional but drilling the tank would make me a little nervous!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Registered

Nothing to it. We use a hole saw to drill the hole. Just drill it very slowly and have someone hold a vacuum. That catches all the shavings. The piece should stay in the hole saw when you punch through. You won't get more than a couple of small shavings in the tank, if that. It won't make any sparks so there is nothing to worry about. I have probably done 25 or more of them over the years and have never had a problem. Never blew up either
Eddie
Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes, I would seriously worry about the gas fumes entering the vacuum, the vacuum has plenty of sparks.
Originally Posted by Young Performance
Nothing to it. We use a hole saw to drill the hole. Just drill it very slowly and have someone hold a vacuum. That catches all the shavings. The piece should stay in the hole saw when you punch through. You won't get more than a couple of small shavings in the tank, if that. It won't make any sparks so there is nothing to worry about. I have probably done 25 or more of them over the years and have never had a problem. Never blew up either
Eddie
Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

We are vacuuming the shavings before we ever punch through the tank.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you have access, you can also tee into the fuel fill hose? I think the fitting is readily available.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 07-15-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added word
Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered

can't even see my fuel fill hose....only access is from rear, it comes in front...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.