Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any tricks to getting AN fittings to seal? >

Any tricks to getting AN fittings to seal?

Notices

Any tricks to getting AN fittings to seal?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tricks to getting AN fittings to seal?

I've got a TRS setup that has all new plumbing -12 Hardin/CP TRS oil cooler male jamb nut going into an Aeroquip female hose fitting that is spraying tons oil into the bilge at running temp. If I tighten the fitting any more, soemthing is going to crack. This is the seccond hose I've put on it and I cant get it to stop leaking, I cant find any obvious defects in the male part of the fitting. WTF do I do with this thing to get it to seal?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

TS,
Are you absolutely sure thet the male and female fittings are compatable and the same angle ? There are different sealing angles available and if you mix them up they will not seal. I didnt think you could mix them up due to different thread sizes, but you never know. You need to put some machinists die or magic marker on the male fitting, then tighten them up and take them back apart and see how they are sealing.

Personally, I dont like mixing brands of fittings either. Both male and female need to be Aeroquip.

It could also just be a defective fitting

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you overtightened it, that may have caused your leak.

As Bill already said, make sure you have the correct fittings. You can mix manufactures, but not alloys, like brass, steel and aluminum. They look the same but may have different angles where they seat.

On the NPT side, you should use some kind of Teflon sealer. I prefer the liquid over the tape. Only on the pipe side, not on the AN side.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

There are copper gaskets that go in the AN side called "missle seals". You could probley find them at a place that makes up hyd. hose
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

they are called VOI-SHAN seals
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
they are called VOI-SHAN seals
Thats all we called them at work. I really dident think Missle Seals was the wright name for them.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

As was stated earlier check the thread angle, there are two angles used (37 vs 45 deg.) and it is possible to mix the two.
SAE industry standard flares are 45 degress, aircraft flare fittings are 37 degrees, ...
Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
I've got a TRS setup that has all new plumbing -12 Hardin/CP TRS oil cooler male jamb nut going into an Aeroquip female hose fitting that is spraying tons oil into the bilge at running temp. If I tighten the fitting any more, soemthing is going to crack. This is the seccond hose I've put on it and I cant get it to stop leaking, I cant find any obvious defects in the male part of the fitting. WTF do I do with this thing to get it to seal?

there are at least three types of common fittings... sae (JIC) and AN . AN is a 37 degree flare and JIC is 37 degree and SAE is 45. if you have genuine aeroquip flight grade hoses and hose ends you have 37 degree. if you have aftermarket stuff like russels and earls it is PROBABLY/maybe 45 degrees. if you have something made at your local hydraulic shop it is very likely its JIC or 37 but could very easily be sae which is 45 degerees. . if you draw yourself a picture of the two systems you will see that if you put a 45 on top of a 37 you might have a hard time getting it to seal but it would probably work the other way around. you really have to confirm what you have. beyond that , as you well know, this isn't rocket science. those fittings should mate and seal all day without any repair sleeve , no sweat at all..
so maybe you really have to look at the cooler and make sure that fitting isn't damaged or mismade. also... if you are using aftermarket " aeroquip" a lot of it is garbage. i have seen russel hose assemblies leak like sieves from brand new... you might want to make sure the hose assy itself is good. a local hydro shop can test it for you...

Last edited by stevesxm; 07-20-2011 at 02:40 PM.