Notices

Found the Problem with Oil out of exh!!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respectfully Disagree

Originally Posted by stevesxm
thats not the point at all.

1) everybody makes misatkes. but the question is what is the liklyhood of a reputable pro who has seen everything there is to see making a mistake vs the guy at home, skilled or other wise, that builds 4 motors in his lifetime ?

lets say you are having heart surgery... your family doctor did a surgical rotation for a month and assited 3 operations 15 years ago... or the guy at johns hopkins that does 3 a day every dau and has for the last 15 years... ? who is better equipped to deal with the unexpected ? who is your choice ?

as for the rest... that is the easiest question of all... make up your mind WHY you are boating in the first place. If you are a hot rodder shade tree guy then fine. screw with your hardware and get dirty and have a hell of time rebuilding cylinderheads in your living room. if that's what gets you off then more power to you... BUT if you bought the boat so you can ( follow this , now) ACTUALLY go boating, then 100 out of 100 times, you will get more hours on the water per dollar having a skilled competent professional doing your work than you will ever get doing the work yourself. is it possible for an amateur to be successful ? of course it is , but 99 times out of 100 that amateur is essentially a professional by virtue of his training anyway. they aren't guys who bought dennis moores book and a 99 piece set of tools from sears.

i am all for getting your hands dirty. the more you do the more you know but at what price ? a VERY VERY smart man told man told me at a very young age " do what you do best to earn the money to hire people to do what THEY do best" .

none of this is rocket science but none of it is intuitive either. when the manual says " align the ring gaps at 120 degrees and install the piston" there are about 400 paragraphs of experience and detail that it isn't telling you.
you either knew that stuff before you started or you hired someone that did or, worst case, you are about to learn it the hard way.
Every Pro had to start from the beginning at some time and had the passion to be the best at his trade.

I know I can not campaign a Top Fuel Dragster or Offshore Powerboat not only financially but also lack of experience. I can, however, run a bracket racer on the drag strip or personal performance boat running in the 70 to 80 MPH range. I can still still take part in the hobby.

In my 15 years of boating and doing my own engine work, I am glad to say I was stranded at the boat ramp due to a failed fuel pump and was towed by a friendly boater due to a bad cell battery. This comes with the hobby and have accepted this. It's not like I was stranded on the moon.

Also, a lot of engine builders do not have their own machine shop and rely on a competent shop to do their machining and then do final assemblies.

I respect anyone how does not want to get involved with the task marine repair work but I was just giving credit to the original post.

I personally disagree with your opinion that tooling with a boat engine can be such an terrible undertaking?

THX
Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TEXASRPM
I personally disagree with your opinion that tooling with a boat engine can be such an terrible undertaking?

THX
Me too! I've been building them under shade trees for years and I've found my service and response to the customer (me) impecable. Rarely do we have disputes anymore and the job is always done expeditiously what ever it may be. I cannot say that for before I did my own work back in the mid ninties. I'd loose 1/2 a summer if I hit a log and busted a drive or whatever. Never lost more than 1 weekend since doing all my own work up to and including rebuilding blown engines. But I do have a machine shop that gives me front row service which helps. My problem is I am extremely hard on stuff and if I did not do my own work I couldn't run the way I want knowing it would be catastrophic $$ and time wise if I pop something. I go right by a lot of high dollar boats in poker runs because they are scared to death of popping something and being done for the year and out big dollars. So to each his own and like stevexm said, some of us are just hot rodders at heart and thats fine too. But if thats not your gig, spend the large and get it done right or you will end up hating boating.

Last edited by blue thunder; 07-25-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Me too! I've been building them under shade trees for years and I've found my service and response to the customer (me) impecable. Rarely do we have disputes anymore and the job is always done expeditiously what ever it may be. I cannot say that for before I did my own work back in the mid ninties. I'd loose 1/2 a summer if I hit a log and busted a drive or whatever. Never lost more than 1 weekend since doing all my own work up to and including rebuilding blown engines. But I do have a machine shop that gives me front row service which helps. My problem is I am extremely hard on stuff and if I did not do my own work I couldn't run the way I want knowing it would be catastrophic $$ and time wise if I pop something. I go right by a lot of high dollar boats in poker runs because they are scared to death of popping something and being done for the year and out big dollars. So to each his own and like stevexm said, some of us are just hot rodders at heart and thats fine too. But if thats not your gig, spend the large and get it done right or you will end up hating boating.
well... i wasn't being boat specific. i raced against a lot of people for a lot of years who were very very good racers and very very bad mechanics. everyonce in a while one of them would catch on and have someone that knew what they were doing start to work on the cars/gboxes/ motors and suddenly it wasn't dnf after dnf... it was finish, finish better and then finish better again. i never said any of this was hard or trick or magic or anything like that. what i said was that if you want to use your boat for its intended purpose and don't actually possess the skill set to do the work then you are well advised not to do it and pay someone that does so that you can satisfy your intended purpose. thats all. you guys seem to be capable of doing your own work. good for you. those are hard won skills and experiences. but that's you and you are in a very small minority. look at the last 10 pages of posts here. count the number of problems that are self inflicted. count the number of posts where the person, with no sense of direction simply changes EVERYTHING and hopes that fixes it. count the number where after the attempted repair the boat is considerably worse off than when they started.

i admire their willingness to take a whack at it but i question the intelligence of screwing with very very expensive hardware when "you" have no idea what you are doing either specifically or often in basic concept. god bless them for trying but it is a mistake. pure and simple.