Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil pressure drops to zero >

Oil pressure drops to zero

Notices

Oil pressure drops to zero

Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

I understood that several recommended changing the sender. my point was for all those who kept trying to overcomplicate things and find dramatic issues before going to the source of the problem (the sender) first. there are a lot of knowledgable folks on this board but there are some who either dont like to listen to them or are bound and determined to prove them wrong. the biggest example is the guy looking at putting the alpha drives on the 38 foot 6 ton boat and basically ignoring everyone who told him it would be lucky to get on plane. no offense to anyone meant.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is/was the sender. Checked voltage, etc. Changed out sender, but was not able to find the correct one. Have one in now that at least relays, so i know if I lose pressure, etc. I have stewart warner gauge, so trying to find a sender for it. If not able to find the correct one, then will get new gauge and sender. So problem solved. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Registered

Maybe so. Who said it was to be looked at, at 75 mph? For the most part, electrical gauges are usually pretty reliable and it is a lot easier as far as routing to run a wire up to the helm than a -4 hose. I never had any trouble with the electrical gauges, but for my own reason I like to have something to double check the electrical from time to time.

....Or another reason is if I happen to be in the engine room priming an engine with the distributor out or rolling it over with a remote starter and I can't see the gauge at the helm, be it electrical or mechanical. All I was doing was offering an option. Personally I wouldn't mind having an entire extra set of gauges in the engine room for when I am back there working on things but that's not really practical.

Originally Posted by stevesxm
sure. i understand completely... but you aren't standing in the engine bay when you are going 75 mph at 5300 rpm... and wouldn't it sort of be a better idea if the gages you were actually looking at and relying on to save your ass actually worked ? think about it... with this set up you are saying " gee the gages in my dash are such sht that i have to have a back up set somewhere else " huh ? that's like the guy that told me the reason he loved the MSD stuff was because it was cheap so he could carry spares and it was easy to replace every time it failed...

Last edited by c_deezy; 07-24-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Maybe so. Who said it was to be looked at, at 75 mph? For the most part, electrical gauges are usually pretty reliable and it is a lot easier as far as routing to run a wire up to the helm than a -4 hose. I never had any trouble with the electrical gauges, but for my own reason I like to have something to double check the electrical from time to time.

....Or another reason is if I happen to be in the engine room priming an engine with the distributor out or rolling it over with a remote starter and I can't see the gauge at the helm, be it electrical or mechanical. All I was doing was offering an option. Personally I wouldn't mind having an entire extra set of gauges in the engine room for when I am back there working on things but that's not really practical.
i understand all that and its a great idea and well executed ... for that purpose. but my point is simply that
you have about 80 grand worth of motors , 40 feet away from you that you can't hear. your only information at speed is what you see on the dash. for the extra 100 bucks, why wouldn't you run a piece of rubber -4 ( so no chaffing) 200 psi hose, that 40 ft to a gage that you can believe and trust ?

its the same with the water temp. i replaced some of the gages on mine when i got it and the values were all over the place ( gaffrig) so i took the sensors out and put them in boiling water and one was wrong by 10 degrees cold and the other 15 degrees hot. for me, unacceptable. thats with the senders that came with the gages... the ones that were original were closer... inside of 5 degrees ... close enough but the point is that , for the money that gets spent on these motors, i am really surprised how nonchalant people are about the accuracy of their dash or , in a lot of cases, the instruments they aren't carrying at all ( fuel press and oil temp). sure... i can seem to be obsessive but in reality it just seems crazy to me do do things badly when it is very easy and reasonable to do things well. i would rather have gages that actually work rather than ones where the bezels happen to match my interior.