502 Overheating --- help >

502 Overheating --- help

Notices

502 Overheating --- help

Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Donman
I have Gen V block and the Fel-Pro box said head set was for Gen V 502, so ...

I will get part number tonight.

I keep thinking head gaskets could be wrong .............. ?
Fel Pro # should be 17048.
Eddie
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

What water temp are you seeing on the gauge? You shouldn't see more than 120 without a t-stat.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
What water temp are you seeing on the gauge? You shouldn't see more than 120 without a t-stat.

The gauge seems to be stuck, or is stopping at 145*. I am sure it is faulty. It was working fine before.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

I worked on it last night ----

The water pressure is stronger coming out of the right exhaust pipe. There is water coming out of left exhaust, but it is somewhat weak. Probably 50% less than right side. The previous head gasket problem was on left bank. ( ? )

Also- I pulled the hoses off from manifold to riser ( Stainless Marine Hi-Torque manifolds ). The water pressure / flow seems very good going into the riser. The strange thing is, there is exhaust pressure coming back out of the coolant nipple on the riser while engine is running. Is this normal ? The water is not introduced into the exhaust stream until the end of tailpipe.

Thoughts ?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be possible if you have something providing backpressure to the exhaust gas after the point where the water and exhaust gas meet (flappers). I'd check the other side to ensure it is the same. What will tell the tale is what comes out the hose that is leaving the engine to the manifold.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
It could be possible if you have something providing backpressure to the exhaust gas after the point where the water and exhaust gas meet (flappers). I'd check the other side to ensure it is the same. What will tell the tale is what comes out the hose that is leaving the engine to the manifold.

I do have exhaust flappers (internal) inside the exhaust tip as well as external flappers on the outside of tip.

The water coming out of the engine going into the exh manifold is HOT.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does compression gas come out the hose from the engine when you start it with the hose disconnected from the manifold? You might want to hook up a second water supply hose to the manifold so you can run the engine with that hose disconnected from the engine to manifold without fear of overheating the exhaust manifold. If the disonnected hose has compression it will look just like you are looking at your tailpipe when running with water/compression exhaust mixed. If there is no compression gas you will just note the water flow pulses from the seapump impeller with no exhaust.

Last edited by blue thunder; 07-26-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Does compression gas come out the hose from the engine when you start it with the hose disconnected from the manifold? You might want to hook up a second water supply hose to the manifold so you can run the engine with that hose disconnected from the engine to manifold without fear of overheating the exhaust manifold. If the disonnected hose has compression it will look just like you are looking at your tailpipe when running with water/compression exhaust mixed. If there is no compression gas you will just note the water flow pulses from the seapump impeller with no exhaust.
Does not have exhaust compression from this hose. The water flows freely with "pulses"
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Registered

I used a Felpro Marine head gasket set #17249.

On the box it says this is for Gen V 502 / 540 / 572

???
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donman
I used a Felpro Marine head gasket set #17249.

On the box it says this is for Gen V 502 / 540 / 572

???
My block is a "Bowtie" 502.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.