Exhaust exit help on Baja 226 Sport >

Exhaust exit help on Baja 226 Sport

Notices

Exhaust exit help on Baja 226 Sport

Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust exit help on Baja 226 Sport

So here's my dilemma, this is my first boat, bought it with a bad 454 mag 365. Pulled it and built a nice solid 496 that should make around 550-600hp. It's a standard Bravo drive.

If you are familure with the older 226 sports or 240 sports they share the same hull with molded platform. Well the platform takes up so much space that the exhaust has to exit so low it's below the waterline. I really want the exhaust to exit above the waterline, but the tips cant really be moved any higher under the platform.

So my question is this, do I run my tails out above the platform or out the sides of the hull? I have CMI E-tops on the motor and am going to have CMI build me some dry tails but I'm not sure what route to take. I would rather go out the back of the boat for simplicity and cost of the tails. Is there any reason I shouldnt have it exit above my swim platform?

Thanks alot guys!!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 226es with a HP465 in it & Baja exited the exhaust over the swim platform like you are speaking of.
It was ok, but several occasions we had folks with cuts on their feet from accidentally kicking the tips climbing back into the boat.
I'll find you some pictures of the back of the boat if you want.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Registered

Im an interested in doing the same if you could post some pics! How much of a pita is it to fiber over the existing holes?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
I had a 226es with a HP465 in it & Baja exited the exhaust over the swim platform like you are speaking of.
It was ok, but several occasions we had folks with cuts on their feet from accidentally kicking the tips climbing back into the boat.
I'll find you some pictures of the back of the boat if you want.
Yes please, pictures would be much appreciated! So the HP465 was instealled by Baja? I'm not too terribly worried about anyone coming in contact with the tips it's mainly just me ever on the boat. Or I know they do make flush mount tips or rounded edge ones that could work.

Originally Posted by gofast540NY
Im an interested in doing the same if you could post some pics! How much of a pita is it to fiber over the existing holes?
Honestly, I wasn't even going to glass in the existing holes, rather just fab up two round pieces of stainless with some seals/silicone and a bolt through the center to clamp the transom between them, in case a future owner or whatever ever wanted to go back to stock.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

1990 226es. Factory HP465.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust exit help on Baja 226 Sport-226-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MyBaja240 (07-15-2021)
Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

I sold mine to a guy and he ran them out the side, just above the waterline. Looks A LOT better than coming out the swimplatform. You can buy the side exit flush mount/recessed tips and block off plates at Keith Eickert.

I was pushin just over 500 hp under the platform with the one piece Gil risers. boat ran 75 gps.

Good luck with the Hydro steering that you will need. if you have tabs it gets tightback there and you loose turn radius. unless you buy the more expensive shorter rams.

good luck.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

You can get tips with a rolled end. That will keep people from cutting themselves on them.

http://www.cpperformance.com/c-464-r...nose-tips.aspx
Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered

Thanks for the pictures and advice guys!

I think I'm going to go ahead and just have it exit above the platform. I do like the idea of exiting out the side, but that's a lot more tube back there and space it takes up, I'll keep it nice and short and simple.

These tails are going to be dry so I was thinking of dumping the water, after it cools the tails, right above the drive, essentially creating a drive shower. Should work, right?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Registered

All those bends take HP....just sayin'