Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New help with a few issues on new motor install... >

New help with a few issues on new motor install...

Notices

New help with a few issues on new motor install...

Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New help with a few issues on new motor install...

I finally got my new motor installed in my new to me 89 baja 235, plumbed and wired this weekend. After many many many issues building this boat (bought the boat with no motor) I finally got to hear the motor start and run. I have a few issues to work through before its ready to put in the water.

1) The motor doesn't shut off when you turn off the key. Key switch maybe??

2) I'm running an electric fuel pump and just wired it up to the battery for testing the motor at my shop. What can I wire the pump up to so that it comes on with the motor? I was thinking maybe running it off the coil?

Thats all I can think of for now. I worked 36 hours with only 4 hours sleep mixed in there with the drive of finally hearing the motor run after this month long project.

Thanks for the help.

Here is a little video of the motor running with the hose rigged into the water pickup on the transom assembly.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some how you have the wiring from the ign switch wrong. It should kill power to the coil and shut engine off. I would run fuel pump off of a seperate switch so that it can be turned on and off independantly of the engine.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

when wireing up a electric fuel pump to the engine you will need a oil pressure safety switch,when the switch see's the oil pressure it will allow the electric pump to come on then that op switch will need to be wired to a heavy duty reley then to the ignition switch..pm me your number and i can give you the details...