Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Forgot plug, turns over, won't start? >

Forgot plug, turns over, won't start?

Notices

Forgot plug, turns over, won't start?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot plug, turns over, won't start?

Got in too big of a hurry this weekend and didn't put the plug in. Backed off the trailer and headed for a slip when I realized what happened. Called for the trailer to be brought back, shut the engine down and opened the hatch to find water up to the stringers, the bilge pump didn't let it get any higher. The trailer returned in a few minutes but couldn't get the engine started so we pulled it on and cranked it up. Tried to start it out of the water and it almost did once, I figured it was flooded so let it sit and tried an hour or so later with no luck. Got it back home yesterday and pulled the water seperator to find quite a bit of water in it. Pumped more fuel into a container and it was good. Emptied the carb bowls in case of water in there and it fired right up. Ran it for 5-10 mins and when I tried to give it gas it sputtered out and couldn't get it started again. Rebuilt 383 with Demon carb and airgap intake, everything else pretty much stock. I'm stumped, any advice is much appreciated!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Registered

Was it turning over like normal ? Sounds like your battery got weak from the bilge pump running. Maybe the alt got wet also. The dist needs at least 11 volts (or something like that) I think to keep running. With a weak battery...it may start, but not have enough voltage to keep running at anything above idle (weak spark). Try a fresh battery, and make sure its getting clean fuel (no water).
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Registered

maybe the alternator was wet and shorted out ,so your battery is weak, let it dry out take your alternator off and bring it to a parts store with your battery and have them checked before you spend money
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

Put the main battery on the charger, will try tomorrow with a full charge.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Battery is fully charged and still not starting!? Is there anyway the timing could have gotten off?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

No. We need some more info. Is it firing ? Backfiring ? Does it almost start ? Does it just sit there and turn over without even a hit ? Did you check for spark ? Is it getting fuel ? Did you shoot it with just a little starting fluid to see if it would fire ? We need to know these things.