Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
over heating issue and need help....my first poker run this weekend!!! >

over heating issue and need help....my first poker run this weekend!!!

Notices

over heating issue and need help....my first poker run this weekend!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default over heating issue and need help....my first poker run this weekend!!!

I bought a baja 235 force a few weeks ago with out a motor. I had a 468 bbc built with the addition to a better cam and high rise intake manifold. I had no accessories for the motor so I pieced everything togethor buying just about everything new execpt a used cirulating water pump for the front of the block, but it looks brand new!! The sea water pump is the old two piece plastic style (used) that I put a new impellar in. The problem I'm having is that at speed (2000-5000 rpm's) it will start to climb in temp to the point I have to pull back to idle because of power loss and not wanting to cook the brand new motor!! At idle and low speeds (off plane) the exhaust has a steady amount of water coming out and will not over heat. Once under way and on plane the boat will stay cool for about 3 miles and then it will increase temp pretty fast.

Where should I look for my heat problem? I have my first poker run every this weekend and have been working everyday after work for a month to have the boat running. Just got it running this past week and have been on the water trying to avoid the heat issue and get the motor broke in.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the hoses on the correct sides of the sea water pump housing ?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it has bravo drive ck the hose coming thru the drive housing .remove the plastic housing on the inside of boat that the feed hose connects too .ill almost bet its getting pinched off w corrosion . most bravos do it
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

how high is the X deminsion? if the drive only has the side inlets and the drive is high the top holes will suck in air when the boat is on plane. as was stated check the hose in the gimble as they tend to collapse but also look at the drive height.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replys!!

I had the outdrive off when I installed the motor and I don't remember a plastic cover? Pulling the outdrive is easy so I can pull it off again to check the plastic housing. Unless the housing your talking about is on the inside of the boat. The feed line that goes to the sea pump does connect to the transom assembly, but I didn't take it off from the inside. I saw how big the hose was and assumed the line couldn't be clogged. Can I get to the housing with motor in?

As for the hose routing. I'm pretty sure I've got it right. I refrenced the manual many times in trying to get the hoses right. The exit port I used on the sea pump is the left hand out (closest port to the two mounting bolts that are close togethor). I'm using the right hand out port for the inlet side of the pump. They both say outlet so that was confusing. I ended up calling a local shop and trying to find the info online.

I'm not sure on the x dim. as the lower unit is the stock bravo 1 lower unit.

Keep the ideas coming and thanks for the ideas!!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cp5899
Thanks for the replys!!

I had the outdrive off when I installed the motor and I don't remember a plastic cover? Pulling the outdrive is easy so I can pull it off again to check the plastic housing. Unless the housing your talking about is on the inside of the boat. The feed line that goes to the sea pump does connect to the transom assembly, but I didn't take it off from the inside. I saw how big the hose was and assumed the line couldn't be clogged. Can I get to the housing with motor in?

As for the hose routing. I'm pretty sure I've got it right. I refrenced the manual many times in trying to get the hoses right. The exit port I used on the sea pump is the left hand out (closest port to the two mounting bolts that are close togethor). I'm using the right hand out port for the inlet side of the pump. They both say outlet so that was confusing. I ended up calling a local shop and trying to find the info online.

I'm not sure on the x dim. as the lower unit is the stock bravo 1 lower unit.

Keep the ideas coming and thanks for the ideas!!
If you have water coming out the exhaust at idle then your pumping water and the hoses are correct. Pull the drive and check the 3/4" hose end at the helmet. There is a beveled plastic retainer inside the hose that expands the hose and holds it to the helmet,where the drives mates to it. This retainer will collapse do to corrosion of the aluminum around it and slow down water flow. This will be the cause of water flow at idle and over heat above idle.
Anthony
Old 08-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered

I will check that Anthony. Now that you mention it I do remember seeing that plastic retainer that slides in the hose to hold it in place. I do remember seeing it folded inwards a little into the path of water flow, but didn't think much of it. I will try and find one locally and replace it along with checking behind the plastic housing that others mentioned.

thanks everyone!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you decide to keep the circulating pump and not install a simple crossover? One more thing for the engine to drive, one more thing to fail and ruin your boating day. Unless you have a closed cooling system? Also may I suggest a thru hull water pick up, strainer and forget the drive pick up for cooling the engine.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

u said u baught the circulating pump used,are u sure it is a clockwise rotatiom pump? many are ccw for automotive use.the sea pump would push water past it at low rpm,after about 2500 rpm it would greatly impede waterflow.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
u said u baught the circulating pump used,are u sure it is a clockwise rotatiom pump? many are ccw for automotive use.the sea pump would push water past it at low rpm,after about 2500 rpm it would greatly impede waterflow.
Another good reason to get rid of it, just sayin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.